1983 KZ750N Timing.

• hollywoodpwnss
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1983 KZ750 Spectre
More
08 May 2017 11:10 #761477 by hollywoodpwnss
1983 KZ750N Timing. was created by hollywoodpwnss
So after having the bike apart all winter, between new piston rings and cut valves my timing chain is no where near where I had it marked in the beginning. I have a manual for a GPZ 750 and I was wondering if it correlated properly to the KZ750? Basically find the line on the cam gear that is meant for the current bolt pattern and line that level with the cam housing with Cylinder 1 at TDC?

Thank you in advance for any help. I tried searching the forum but I'm on mobile and got some odd results.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 May 2017 11:34 - 08 May 2017 11:38 #761478 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic 1983 KZ750N Timing.
The camshafts and sprockets for your bike are the same as used on the 750R1, so using that chain drive manual should be fine.

The cam chain tensioner should be installed, but remove the cap, spring, and pull back on the wedge.

Turn crank and put 1-4 on the T mark.

Pull the cam chain tight in the front and align the 7EX line at the top surface of the head.

The IN mark on the intake came should be between the 45th and 46th pin per the factory manual.

After you get the cams all bolted down and you verify the crank hasn't moved and the cams are positioned right, install the valve cover. Last thing to do is install the cam chain tensioner cap and spring.

If you are not positive about the cam timing after after bolting down the cams try reinstalling the tensioner spring and cap and turn over the engine a few times with a wrench and then double check the timing. If all is well then remove the tensioner cap and spring one more time and then stick the valve cover on then. It's critical to have the cap and spring off while installing the valve cover or you will over tension the cam chain. Last step is the install the cap and spring.
Last edit: 08 May 2017 11:38 by Nessism.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hollywoodpwnss

• hollywoodpwnss
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1983 KZ750 Spectre
More
08 May 2017 11:48 #761481 by hollywoodpwnss
Replied by hollywoodpwnss on topic 1983 KZ750N Timing.
Good information, thank you, it's much appreciated.