Quick easy gasket question

More
22 Apr 2017 08:29 - 22 Apr 2017 08:32 #759883 by Gordoninnc
Replied by Gordoninnc on topic Quick easy gasket question
I still haven't found anything in my manual about it at all. BUT it does seem like a good idea and I can't see where it would cause any harm adding it to those two locations.......so I put some Permatex Anaerobic in those two areas. I did it this morning so I'm riding a different bike today so that stuff has time to cure before I put the oil back in it.

Went through the clutch adjustment again and all feels well and I'm feeling pretty good about knowing how now.

I went into the clutch just to know what was in there and what kind of shape it was in....everything checked out within specs and I couldn't find any reason for the slight "creep" /"drag" at startup.....which to be honest was a good and bad thing. I'll just have to live with it. Finding neutral has never been a problem but the thing sounds like a tractor ( or an old BMW) when shifting????

Take care and thanks again for taking the time to share your wisdom.

Gordon in NC
Last edit: 22 Apr 2017 08:32 by Gordoninnc.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Apr 2017 10:13 #759891 by VTEC
Replied by VTEC on topic Quick easy gasket question
It's really common sense. Often a seam has a slight recess from the gasket surface which the gasket may not have the capability to seal. Like if you had a good scrape in the gasket surface itself. I'm sure you can get away without sometimes, but why chance it.

KZ1000-K2
ZRX1100
XR400R
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

More
22 Apr 2017 12:12 - 22 Apr 2017 12:12 #759902 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Quick easy gasket question

Gordoninnc wrote: .....................I went into the clutch just to know what was in there and what kind of shape it was in....everything checked out within specs and I couldn't find any reason for the slight "creep" /"drag" at startup......

The friction plate thickness being within spec doesn't mean much if the wrong oil was used. The clutch plates on my KZ650 were well within spec, but the clutch would slip until I replaced them. The reason they were slipping was the fact that I had continued using Castrol GTX car oil well after Castrol had changed the formula. Their new formula contain moly and/or some other "friction modifiers", and that stuff had permeated the friction lining on the clutch plates making them slip even though they still retained plenty of meat. New plates and switching to JASO-MA compliant oil fixed the problem. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 22 Apr 2017 12:12 by 650ed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

More
22 Apr 2017 14:52 - 22 Apr 2017 14:55 #759924 by Gordoninnc
Replied by Gordoninnc on topic Quick easy gasket question
I hear ya 650. Since this bike was new to me I have no clue what was used in it before.... I KNOW what's in t now.

My clutch wasn't slipping. actually the only thing that had me concerned was that there is a slight grab on start up, not so bad that holding the front brake doesn't allow the bike to creep forward and it doesn't stall. I had a fellow on here ( sorry but I forgot who you were) that told me it was normal for his bike. I just wanted to be sure nothing was amiss in the clutch housing. SO easy to turn a plain plate around or get a friction plate backwards.......what I was hoping for was something like that or a warped plain plate. But I'm pretty sure I'm the first one in there and everything was installed correctly and I'm waiting until tomorrow morning to try it again. I did try to clean off all the oil (like pissing in the wind) and re-oiled it real good with the oil I use here in the shop. We'll see but if the creep is still there I can live with it knowing now I couldn't find anything that bothered me in there.

Rain tomorrow....makes me feel for the polishers.......I'm riding.

Gordon in NC
Last edit: 22 Apr 2017 14:55 by Gordoninnc.