Vacuum line delete questions zn1100

More
07 Apr 2017 22:50 - 07 Apr 2017 22:53 #758753 by 2005jetta
Vacuum line delete questions zn1100 was created by 2005jetta
I want to get rid of all the emissions hoses on my bike. It's a 1984 zn1100. I've done a lot of reading and I don't quite understand what I am supposed to do. The number one and number four carburetors are connected via a "t" line that runs to the valve cover. Then, carburetors two and three are also connected via a T line that runs to the vacuum port on my gas tank. Then there is a large-diameter hose coming off of the rear center of the valve cover that goes to nothing and is open to the air. There is no hose attached to where the crankcase breather was connected to the engine, its just open to the air. What can I do to eliminate this rats nest of hoses? Is there some reason I need two carburetors feeding the gas tank vacuum? Can I eliminate the vacuum lines leaving from carburetor 1 and 4? Thank you in advance.
Last edit: 07 Apr 2017 22:53 by 2005jetta.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Apr 2017 04:55 - 08 Apr 2017 05:08 #758759 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Vacuum line delete questions zn1100
Is the stock airbox installed? Does your bike have the evaporative canister? The diagrams at Partzilla might be some help.
Some of the lines you're seeing are vent lines. The fuel tank has vent ports. There's a fuel Tee between #2 & #3, and two vent Tees a little higher up between !-2 & 3-4. The vac ports are kind of high up on each carb body, engine side. When the clean air system stuff is removed, cap 3 vac ports & use one for the vac line to the petcock. usually #2.

Partzilla -->> 84 ZN1100 -->> airbox. canister. carburetor assy. fuel tank.
Last edit: 08 Apr 2017 05:08 by martin_csr.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TexasKZ, bl_francis

More
08 Apr 2017 05:10 #758761 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Vacuum line delete questions zn1100
Eliminating the emissions hoses is fairly simple.
Cam cover--
Replace the one you have with a cover from a non-U.S. model. An easier and less expensive option is to replace the two hose nipples with block off plates like those sold by APE.
If you are using he stock air filter box, you will need to plug the hole or fitting where the hose to the cam cover went.

Carbs-
You need one vacuum line to the petcock. The other three should be capped. Be sure the caps fit tightly. I believe yor carbs have two vent hoses. They are important. They can be routed over the carbs, tucked tightly to the frame, ending behind the side covers. The carbs will be happiest if the ends of the vent hoses are in relatively still air.

Crankcase-
Most folks prefer a hose attached to the vent that routes the fumes under and behind the engine, usually in front of the swingarm. Some of us use a small filter instead of the hose. Look carefully at the Bike of the Month for a particularly elegant one.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

More
08 Apr 2017 05:13 #758762 by TexasKZ
Thanks, Martin. I forgot he might have a vapor recovery system, too.

More
08 Apr 2017 05:13 - 08 Apr 2017 05:21 #758763 by martin_csr
Should he cap the fuel tank vent ports? Not sure if his fuel cap is vented. I guess I'd run tubing behind the engine.

Diagram. ZR750. the zn1100 is similar.
Last edit: 08 Apr 2017 05:21 by martin_csr.

More
08 Apr 2017 05:23 #758764 by TexasKZ
My guess is that the vent (#2) must be kept and the return line (#1) could be capped. I base my guess on the assumption that the cap cannot be vented with that system.
Later models like my non-Kalifornia ZRX, have a non-vented cap and a similar vent without the vapor system.

More
08 Apr 2017 05:32 #758765 by martin_csr
Thanks. I was thinking the fuel cap was non-vented as it wouldn't make sense having a vented fuel cap with the evaporative system.

More
08 Apr 2017 05:50 #758767 by 2005jetta
Replied by 2005jetta on topic Vacuum line delete questions zn1100
thank you everybody for your responses. I was really impressed to see all the responses when I woke up this morning. I removed the stock air box and replaced with airpods and a Dynojet stage 3 kit. I do not think the bike has an evap canister. I am on sure what you mean by vapor recovery system. And my gas tank has one port on the bottom right corner with no hose attached.

so if I understand you guys correctly I can cap the number one three and four vent ports and just use number two to vent the gas tank correct? And I need to cap the valve cover where carbs 1 and 4 go to the T and run to the valve cover? the large vent port on the rear of the valve cover has A 6 inch hose on it that goes to nothing.... can I leave it that way? And the Breather on the crankcase I should either install a small filter on it or route a hose down toward the swing arm correct?

More
08 Apr 2017 06:08 - 09 Apr 2017 06:37 #758769 by martin_csr
The carburetor assy has 4 vac ports, 2 vent Tees & a fuel Tee. The vacuum ports have engine vacuum when the engine is running. If your bike has a vacuum petcock, you should connect tubing between the #2 carb vac port & the petcock vac port. cap the other 3 vac ports with good quality automotive vac caps.

The vent ports are static & should be left open to atmosphere, with tubing to prevent water from getting into them. The crankcase vent should have tubing as well. Lacking an airbox, the tubing is typically routed behind the engine, forward of the swing arm and away from the mufflers, but preferably not directly in front of the rear wheel. Carburetor overflow tubing should be routed the same.

Crankcase vent note: normally, the crankcase vent is routed into the airbox. Without the airbox if tubing is routed behind the engine, it's possible that under some circumstances (such as overfilling the engine oil), engine oil could get dumped on the ground in front of the rear wheel. possibly causing an accident.
Last edit: 09 Apr 2017 06:37 by martin_csr.

More
08 Apr 2017 06:35 #758771 by daveo
Replied by daveo on topic Vacuum line delete questions zn1100
The ZN1100 emission system may be somewhat different than what is shown in that illustration, but is similarly just as useless if not more. :cheer:

I'd hang on to the air box though...;)

1982 KZ1100-A2

The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

More
22 Apr 2017 08:45 #759885 by 2005jetta
Replied by 2005jetta on topic Vacuum line delete questions zn1100
Update:

So i deleted the hoses coming from carb 1 and 4 and capped them. Those 2 lines originally went to a 'T' and ran up to the front top of the engine to what looks like an egr valve. I plugged that end as well. Now the bike will not idle at all. Any ideas?