Engine oil

More
14 Mar 2017 10:46 #756710 by joehooper
Engine oil was created by joehooper
Facts about motor oil

Here is a little bit of information about oils that we at Pit Stop Performance put together to provide our customers. It gives a little history on why oils that used to protect your flat tappet camshaft may no longer do so. Flat tappet camshafts have a very high pressure point between the camshaft lobe and the tappet. The contact surface is just a thin line as the lobe rotates to actuate the valve. This high pressure area requires a high pressure lubricant to combat premature wear and failure. ZincDialkylDithioPhosphate (ZDDP) is a high pressure lubricant. ZDDP used to be present in most motor oils in the amount of .18%-.20% by weight. Most experts agree that this is the optimum concentration of ZDDP in oil used in flat tappet camshaft motors. The oil companies, at the urging of the automobile manufacturers, removed the critical zinc by removing the additive ZDDP. They did this since automotive motors are almost all equipped with some type of roller tappets and no longer need a high pressure additive and the presence of the zinc in ZDDP was contributing to exhaust gas emission problems for the automobile manufacturers government required emissions tests.
You have some options available to you to be sure that your oil has the desired concentration of ZDDP. If you have any doubt, e-mail, write or call the manufacturer and ask.
(1) A limited production racing oil in your desired viscosity. There are a number of them available in the US including (but not limited to) Brad Penn, Schaffer’s and Valvoline racing oil. You will have to check around to see what is available in other countries. Since these are racing oils, no manufacturer would have them on their list of acceptable oils for their cars and therefore they still contain ZDDP.
(2) A good diesel oil like Shell Rotella T, Chevron Delo 400 or Mobil Delvac can be used in a pinch, but diesel oils contain a lot of additives that act as detergents. Diesel oils should only be used as a last resort.
(3) Any automotive oil that you prefer with a four ounce bottle of ZDDPlus engine oil additive added to each oil change. This four ounce bottle is sufficient when mixed with five quarts of oil to yield a concentration of at least .18% zinc by weight. This additive is available on Ebay from a number of vendors.
Now, having said all of that, let me touch on one more thing that it appears has been overlooked. The automobile manufacturers who threw their weight around and basically forced the oil manufacturers to remove the ZDDP from the oil are only interested in oil weights that are for automotive use. Depending on your geographical location, I have seen auto manufacturer’s recommendations to use weights from 5W-20 to 10W-40. I am lucky, I live in a hot climate and I can run a 20W-50 weight oil all year long. This weight is not recommended for any automotive engine made and is exempt from the requirement to remove the ZDDP. As of this writing in 2011, Castrol GTX 20W-50 still contains .18% ZDDP.
This is not intended to sway anyone one way or the other, simply to make you aware of the options.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1, KZB2 650, TexasKZ, Street Fighter LTD, SWest, jertho

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
14 Mar 2017 10:56 - 14 Mar 2017 10:57 #756713 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic Engine oil

joehooper wrote: Facts about motor oil

Here is a little bit of information about oils that we at Pit Stop Performance put together to provide our customers. It gives a little history on why oils that used to protect your flat tappet camshaft may no longer do so. Flat tappet camshafts have a very high pressure point between the camshaft lobe and the tappet. The contact surface is just a thin line as the lobe rotates to actuate the valve. This high pressure area requires a high pressure lubricant to combat premature wear and failure. ZincDialkylDithioPhosphate (ZDDP) is a high pressure lubricant. ZDDP used to be present in most motor oils in the amount of .18%-.20% by weight. Most experts agree that this is the optimum concentration of ZDDP in oil used in flat tappet camshaft motors. The oil companies, at the urging of the automobile manufacturers, removed the critical zinc by removing the additive ZDDP. They did this since automotive motors are almost all equipped with some type of roller tappets and no longer need a high pressure additive and the presence of the zinc in ZDDP was contributing to exhaust gas emission problems for the automobile manufacturers government required emissions tests.
You have some options available to you to be sure that your oil has the desired concentration of ZDDP. If you have any doubt, e-mail, write or call the manufacturer and ask.
(1) A limited production racing oil in your desired viscosity. There are a number of them available in the US including (but not limited to) Brad Penn, Schaffer’s and Valvoline racing oil. You will have to check around to see what is available in other countries. Since these are racing oils, no manufacturer would have them on their list of acceptable oils for their cars and therefore they still contain ZDDP.
(2) A good diesel oil like Shell Rotella T, Chevron Delo 400 or Mobil Delvac can be used in a pinch, but diesel oils contain a lot of additives that act as detergents. Diesel oils should only be used as a last resort.
(3) Any automotive oil that you prefer with a four ounce bottle of ZDDPlus engine oil additive added to each oil change. This four ounce bottle is sufficient when mixed with five quarts of oil to yield a concentration of at least .18% zinc by weight. This additive is available on Ebay from a number of vendors.
Now, having said all of that, let me touch on one more thing that it appears has been overlooked. The automobile manufacturers who threw their weight around and basically forced the oil manufacturers to remove the ZDDP from the oil are only interested in oil weights that are for automotive use. Depending on your geographical location, I have seen auto manufacturer’s recommendations to use weights from 5W-20 to 10W-40. I am lucky, I live in a hot climate and I can run a 20W-50 weight oil all year long. This weight is not recommended for any automotive engine made and is exempt from the requirement to remove the ZDDP. As of this writing in 2011, Castrol GTX 20W-50 still contains .18% ZDDP.
This is not intended to sway anyone one way or the other, simply to make you aware of the options.

Thanks Joe
I wasnt aware that Castrol GTX 20w50 was any good for our KZ motors anymore
I will have Bill save this wisdom to our technical section we are building for our membership
Dave B) B) B)

P S Keep em coming ;)

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn
Last edit: 14 Mar 2017 10:57 by Street Fighter LTD.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

More
14 Mar 2017 10:58 #756715 by joehooper
Replied by joehooper on topic Engine oil
Dave
Castro GTX 20W-50 still had ZDDP in it when I researched this back in 2011.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1, Street Fighter LTD

More
14 Mar 2017 11:23 #756721 by KZB2 650
Replied by KZB2 650 on topic Engine oil
Appreciate the time and info you've been providing on various subjects ....... I'm eating it up......... Been using Valvoline 10/40 motorcycle oil and they list .112/.103% Zinc and Phosphorus by weight ....... Do these get added together to make around .215%.

1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.

More
14 Mar 2017 11:32 - 14 Mar 2017 11:59 #756722 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Engine oil
All motor oils have ZDDP (zinc, phosphorus, boron). It's just a matter of how much. The conventional measurement method is PPM (parts per million). Over the years the ZCCP amount has been reduced from in the 1600-1800 PPM range down to...

API: P / Zn / B
SJ: 1301 / 1280 / 151
CI-4: 1150 / 1374 / 83
SL: 994 / 1182 / 133
CJ-4: 819 / 1014 / 26
SM: 770 / 939 / 127

Shell Rotella has about 1100-1200 PPM zinc and phosphorus. Good enough. Most diesel engine oils will get the job done just fine, a little extra shot of ZDDP wouldn't hurt though.

I would not use automotive oil of any type in a motorcycle because they all have drastically reduced ZDDP (check the SM levels listed above). And 20W-50 is affected just like the lighter weight oils.

BTW, high valve spring pressures in conjunction with low ZDDP motor oils is a good way to increase wear on the cam's. This is why it's always best to use OEM valve springs, not high pressure aftermarket valve springs, unless you are using hot cams that need the extra seat pressure. The rule of thumb is to always use the weakest valve springs as possible that will eliminate valve float.
Last edit: 14 Mar 2017 11:59 by Nessism.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JR, GPz550D1

• slmjim+Z1BEBE
  • User
  • Enjoy Life! IT HAS AN EXPIRATION DATE!
More
14 Mar 2017 11:49 #756724 by slmjim+Z1BEBE
Replied by slmjim+Z1BEBE on topic Engine oil
Hi joehooper,
Can you elaborate on this in regards to the applicable JASO MA standards?

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE

A biker looks at your engine and chrome.
A Rider looks at your odometer and tags.

1973 ('72 builds) Z1 x2
1974 Z1-A x2
1975 Z1-B x2
1993 CB 750 Nighthawk x2
2009 ST1300A

www.kawasaki-z-classik.com
An enthusiast's forum focused exclusively
on all things Z1, Z2 and KZ900.

More
14 Mar 2017 11:55 #756726 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Engine oil

Nessism wrote: .........I would not use automotive oil of any type in a motorcycle because they all have drastically reduced ZDDP (check the SM levels listed above). And 20W-50 is affected just like the lighter weight oils.

+1 !!!

Also, auto oils that are marked "Energy Conserving" contain friction modifiers that are harmful to the KZ wet clutch. Any oil that complies with the JASO-MA standard has been tested to ensure it will not harm the KZ wet clutch. So if a KZ owner doesn't want to risk getting oil that might harm the clutch he can buy oil with the JASO-MA certification on the label. There are plenty of JASO-MA certified oils available in synthetic and non-synthetic formulas. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
14 Mar 2017 13:02 #756732 by joehooper
Replied by joehooper on topic Engine oil
I am not a chemist, but the ZDDP name contains both zinc and phosphorous.
Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me will chip in.
I went through the research in 2011 because we had seen some premature camshaft wear and I was after the answer as to why.
Even though in 2011 the Castrol 20W-50 still had sufficient ZDDP in it, my solution was to put the ZDDPlus additive in any way as I had no idea when regulations might catch up and reduce or eliminate it from that oil.
I provide a bottle of ZDDPlus in the crate with every motor we ship along with the previously listed information.

More
14 Mar 2017 14:46 #756740 by Irish Yobbo
Replied by Irish Yobbo on topic Engine oil
I use a Penrite oil in my bike, I believe they are an Australian brand. The oil I use is 1320PPM. They have the zinc ratings listed here . They also note how some people use diesel oil for the extra zinc, but how many diesel oils actually have less zinc. The HPR oil I use has more zinc than all the HPR diesel oils and more than most of the heavy duty diesel oils too.

1981 KZ750 LTD

More
14 Mar 2017 15:12 #756743 by daveo
Replied by daveo on topic Engine oil

Street Fighter LTD wrote:

joehooper wrote:

Thanks Joe
I will have Bill save this wisdom to our technical section we are building for our membership
Dave B) B) B)

P S Keep em coming ;)

Sounds like I may be wise to continue burning Brad Penn V2, considering that Shell Rotella T4 Diesel Oil may be less-than ideal.

1982 KZ1100-A2

More
16 Mar 2017 07:26 #756878 by daveo
Replied by daveo on topic Engine oil

daveo wrote:

Street Fighter LTD wrote:

joehooper wrote:

Thanks Joe
Dave B) B) B)

P S Keep em coming ;)

Sounds like I may be wise to continue burning Brad Penn V2, considering that Shell Rotella T4 Diesel Oil may be less-than ideal.

She's due for an oil change shortly, and am still not sure about this. Considering I'm not in a pinch, nor do I want to get into one by making a poor decision about oil... :unsure:

1982 KZ1100-A2

More
16 Mar 2017 07:39 #756880 by KZB2 650
Replied by KZB2 650 on topic Engine oil
From all that I've read very few agree on exactly on whats the best oil but I think Brad Penn is a step up...... the Diesel oil on here have a lot of followers and its good stuff "but I think" its more of a saving a little cash and still getting a quality product. I've always been a Valvoline and Mobil 1 fan but if the Brad P was the same price and as easy to find I'd be going with that.

1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1, daveo