Multiple engine upgrade question

More
11 Mar 2017 18:45 - 11 Mar 2017 18:46 #756451 by LynxOGrady
Multiple engine upgrade question was created by LynxOGrady
Evening guys! Man! its been a very long time since i've been here. Lots of stuff happened over the years; Hit a deer on my CX500 (totally fine, I walked away with battered and my hand bloodied (only one glove flew off? weird...)) Moved from NY to Ohio, bought a SL350 to putt around with while my KZ650 stayed stored away for three years.

Now... that im comfortably situated, I've made the decision to pull my poor KZ out with the goal of making it to Ohio Bike Week at the end of May. There are a few things I'd like to do on top of just putting back together and getting road worthy but i've ran across a few things which I'd like to verify with you guys here, some may seem simple but i'd just like the peace of mind with a confirmation.
Ok, here goes:

1. Im planning on running K&N pods instead of an airbox, I've seen people saying that you have to support the carbs somehow so they don't crack the runners off the head (Airbox added rigidity and support?) Whats the common solution for that? I have an idea but it comes across as half-assed and jerry-rigged in my mind

2. on top of the pods, im looking into a 4-1. One i've seen floating around is Delkevic's 4-1's Anybody here run those? how do they perform?

3. I saw on a thread here i believe... of people using aluminum GS1100 swing arms as an attempt to shave weight and that it was an easy bolt-on solution, give or take, shimming a bit. Is this true?

4. With the pods/ 4-1 I'll need a re-jet. According to OldKawMan, he suggested K&N's 4-1 w/ Baffle and a 10 - 15 jet size increase over OEM jet size, while adding to not touch the needles. True or do i need more info?

5. Also from OldKawMan, to quote his site; "For all round performance, go with a 15 tooth front sprocket and a 39 tooth rear sprocket. Put a new chain on, 94-96-98 links will work for most applications". So with that, what exactly am I gaining with the different sprockets? better acceleration? more top end speed?

6. Cams. I may or may not do cams in an attempt to have her running for Bike Week, but i see that KZ750 cams are a good drop-in while utilizing 650 sprockets due to 750's being Hy-Vo chain styled. I've also seen people recommend a Web Cams #118 grind street cams. All of this true?

If these are true, false or are true but need more info, please let me know. Any other little bits of information are always welcome too. Thanks guys!

Source: www.oldkawman.com/oknd.html

1979 Kawasaki KZ650
Last edit: 11 Mar 2017 18:46 by LynxOGrady.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Mar 2017 05:29 #756486 by Nebr_Rex
Replied by Nebr_Rex on topic Multiple engine upgrade question
New carb boots will hold the carbs up by them selves.
Have you looked into seeing if DynoJet has a jet kit?

2002 ZRX1200R
81 GPz1100
79 KZ1000st daily ride
79 KZ1000mk2 prodject
78 KZ650sr
78 KZ650b
81 KZ750e
80 KZ750ltd
77 KZ400/440 cafe project
76 KZ400/440 Fuel Injected

www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=39120.0

The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1, Nessism

More
12 Mar 2017 07:46 #756495 by KZB2 650
Replied by KZB2 650 on topic Multiple engine upgrade question
The stock 16/42 gearing is the same as 15/39 and would hold up slightly better......... and 17.5 pilots with 112.5 mains will get you pretty close on jetting..... I have had no supports on my carbs for 30 years with no problems although I've replaced.

Search for that header a number of guys have bought it lately......

I run the KZ750 cam from a 1980-81 its a drop in with the sprocket change and a GPZ is also possible with shimming up for the smaller base circle. Do a search for that too. The swing arm is more for less flex a added few inches and I would like to learn more on that myself.... again search for that.

1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1, LynxOGrady

More
12 Mar 2017 11:14 #756520 by LynxOGrady
Replied by LynxOGrady on topic Multiple engine upgrade question

Nebr_Rex wrote: New carb boots will hold the carbs up by them selves.
Have you looked into seeing if DynoJet has a jet kit?

DynoJet does have a kit, I did have one at one point but when I moved to Ohio, money got real tight, so it ended up being sold with a lot of other things. Matter of fact, my KZ almost got sold too, but after a botched attempt to sell it, i decided to hold on to her

1979 Kawasaki KZ650