Oil Change Question

More
10 Mar 2017 09:57 #756328 by Vintage3
Oil Change Question was created by Vintage3
Hello,
I last changed my oil and filter in fall 2015. After that the bike was heat stored for last winter and last summer I only put about `150 miles on it before it went back into heated storage. Bike is a KZ1000J3. Oil in it now is a Motul semi-synthetic blend.

My question is before I change the oil in a few weeks for spring should I just unscrew the drain plug without starting it to drain it or start it to warm it up and then drain it understanding the way the bike has been stored along with the age and mileage on the oil. I know normally you would warm it up a bit and then dump the oil to make sure it all gets out but with the time that has passed between changes I am not sure.

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Mar 2017 10:44 - 10 Mar 2017 10:44 #756332 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Oil Change Question
By now, for sure, the vast majority of the oil has run down into the oil pan. If you drain it cold, it may take a little longer for it all to run out, but that shouldn't matter as long as you're not in a hurry. If it was mine I wouldn't bother to warm it up. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 10 Mar 2017 10:44 by 650ed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

More
10 Mar 2017 15:15 #756354 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Oil Change Question
I'd run the oil, not change it. Sitting in the crankcase for a year shouldn't hurt it unless you have leaking carbs/petcock.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1, Scirocco

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
More
10 Mar 2017 15:40 #756359 by Scirocco
Replied by Scirocco on topic Oil Change Question
If the engine was stored after a long distance ride (150 miles = no moisture in the oil) an oil change is not necessary.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1