Kickstarter

More
06 Mar 2017 12:36 #755932 by flyv
Kickstarter was created by flyv
I.m a new guy. Here's one I"m sure not many people came across. Just picked up a 78 1000 LTD. Not many miles and I got it up and running and noticed the kickstarter was bouncing. Shut it down and did some troubleshooting. Finally ended up taking the oil pan off to look and see and found that the arm that hold the bendix to return and disengage had broken off. If the engineers had been thinking they would of installed the arm to be removed with the oil pan removed, but no such luck. I ended up taking the engine out and splitting the cases. Going to rebuild it while it's apart. I have most of the parts ordered and finding that return arm was a bit of a chore. Couldn't find the broken part from the arm, so I am assuming it broke a long time ago and came out with an oil change and only came to light when I tried the kickstarter. All looks pretty good other than breaking a few of the bolts trying to disassemble. Four hrs later the broken bolts are out.
Still having fun and getting back to biking after thrirty years. Little bit of history is I used to have a 76 KZ that I installed a 1000 CC into along with the American turbo pac. Now that was scary. Take care
Canada Chjris

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
06 Mar 2017 13:34 - 06 Mar 2017 17:41 #755940 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic Kickstarter
Welcome to KZRider
All the help you should ever need is to be found here . Our membership is very helpful .
Now tell us more about your turbo bike !!!!!
Dave B) B) B)

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn
Last edit: 06 Mar 2017 17:41 by Street Fighter LTD.

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
More
06 Mar 2017 13:47 #755943 by Scirocco
Replied by Scirocco on topic Kickstarter
Hello and welcome
As DaveB said this is a very helpful community here.
DonĀ“t be shy to ask for help.
as we say in Germany : No question is stupid, you can get only stupid answers.
and some pictures of your bike or current project are welcome.

Michael
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

More
07 Mar 2017 13:55 #756082 by flyv
Replied by flyv on topic Kickstarter
dave and guys
A liitle info on my turbo. My first kawasaki was a 73 900 and i drove the heck out of it. I then bought a 76 LTD. My friend had crashed his 78 1000 so I bought his engine. My other friend had one of the original silver coloured Z1 with the Amnerican turbo pac installed. He always ran 100 octaine Avgas, but wanted a change so we swapped out parts and I got the turbo kit. I remember I had to install a door hinge in the oil pan to keep the oil near the oil pump. After the install, I retarded the timing a bit and could run high octaine pump gas. Also i remember i needed to run a fuel pump because at high boost, the gravity from the fuel tank wasn't enough. ,
After a while I got a little smarter and realized If i don't crash, I'll get some really silly speeding ticket, so I transitioned from motorcycles to homebuilt airplanes. Curiouslly both planes I have built are turbocharged Subaru powered. Another interesting fact is that after a few years moving around, my younger brother has picked up the same turbocharged bike and it will be back on the road this summmer. That' why I picked up the 78 so we can ride together. Thirty five years later and I'm back in the saddle. I'll keep you posted. Canada Chris
The following user(s) said Thank You: Street Fighter LTD