Clutch switch.

More
18 Feb 2017 07:37 #754477 by McZed
Clutch switch. was created by McZed
I have to pull in the clutch lever to start my bike, can I disable this by simply connecting the two wires in the clutch switch. Or will I be burning out a relay somewhere. My bike is a Kawasaki kz1000 J1. Presumably this is some kind of safety feature, and it drives me nuts.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Feb 2017 08:06 #754480 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Clutch switch.
It can be bypassed, but frankly I don't think that's a good idea.

Years ago I was talking with a guy that had just bought a brand spankin' new Yamaha 750. He was so proud of the bike - it was sitting in front of the dealer where he had just paid for it. The bike was on its side stand. Standing next to the bike he turned the key and hit the starter button. The bike jumped off the side stand and plowed into the gravel parking lot. This not only bent up a few parts - it also damaged the paint on the tank and made some dents in it. The problem was that either he or someone at the dealership had left the bike in 1st gear when they pulled it in front of the store, so when he hit the starter button the bike lurched forward off the side stand. He was REALLY pissed and embarrassed knowing he hadn't actually ridden the bike the first mile and now had to have it repaired and the tank repainted. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• 9er rider
  • Sustaining Member
  • Keep a cool tool
More
18 Feb 2017 09:40 #754487 by 9er rider
Replied by 9er rider on topic Clutch switch.
I have 1 bike with and 1 bike without the lockout switch and you have to take your very own thumb and actually turn the lights on. Its been that way for 41 years I guess Im just an analog man. When the green light is on you git to go I named it Greengo the other Kawaker. Im now changing the clutch perch and switch blocks to dress them out a little more sanitary and the same. My wife calls them the mail order princesses.

76 kz 900 1075 76 kz 900 a4 78 kz 1000 ltd