• aquaholic
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1981 KZ1000 J1
More
17 Dec 2016 18:49 #750343 by aquaholic
1981 KZ1000J SHIFTING ASSEMBLY HELP was created by aquaholic
Hello fellow KZ fans,
I'm rebuilding the above bike and am having an issue putting the external shifting area back together. I took pictures and marked the black portion of the shift dog area but my pictures aren't helping lol. I believe I have the internal gear sets in correctly but am having the below issues.
1) I can't seem to find neutral. When I disassembled I could turn the output shaft without anything else moving. I did not disassemble any of the gear sets so they should be correct. I have the case halves together, all the shafts and bearings are seated on the alignment pins also.
2) I'm not sure which springs go where on the small shafts.
I will attack it again tomorrow and see whats going on with a fresh look. Any help or direction on where to look would be appreciated. I do have a fairly good manual although lacking in pictures. I have been following Shadowdragons rebuild but have not heard from him in a long time so I assume he is dealing with snow and winter lol. Happy Holidays to all. Thanks again. Jon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Dec 2016 06:50 #750360 by rrsmsw9999
Replied by rrsmsw9999 on topic 1981 KZ1000J SHIFTING ASSEMBLY HELP
Pics would help. If you had the cases split, it needed to be set to neutral at the shift drum when going back together. A manual is required for verification. These models have the Kawasaki neutral finder mech in the output shaft, but that usually means you can't shift past 1st and Neutral to 2nd gear unless the motor is actually spinning as hand velocity will not overcome the positive neutral finder mech for normal shifting. R

1980 KZ 1000E2
Crashed 6/2016

1980 KZ550A
Sold 3/2016
The following user(s) said Thank You: aquaholic

• aquaholic
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1981 KZ1000 J1
More
28 Dec 2016 19:07 #750845 by aquaholic
Replied by aquaholic on topic 1981 KZ1000J SHIFTING ASSEMBLY HELP
Thank you so much for your reply. I found an instructor video on you tube that explains that you can't find 2nd gear unless the shaft is spinning fast enough. I have it back together and have neutral and first so I guess I will find out when I get it back together. I soooo appreciate your reply. Thanks again and Happy New Year to you and yours. Jon
The following user(s) said Thank You: rrsmsw9999