KZ750 cylinder head and cam shafts mystery

• braddlesnake
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
27 Nov 2016 17:36 #749067 by braddlesnake
KZ750 cylinder head and cam shafts mystery was created by braddlesnake
I am rebuilding a '80 KZ750 LTD H1 I bought a cylinder head off eBay complete with camshafts. I just received the package and the cylinder head is close but isn't quite right, the camshafts seem to larger plugs on each end and the shaft itself has a raised "flange" on one end that sits in a groove that my cylinder head doesn't have.

Does anyone know what cylinder head I have bought? I have attached photos of the mystery cam shaft as well as my originalfor comparison.

I don't think I am going to be able to use these parts so I am just trying to figure out what I have.

Thanks for the help.
Brad
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
More
27 Nov 2016 19:37 #749069 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic KZ750 cylinder head and cam shafts mystery
That head looks to be from a later year bike. It has what's denoted a "bath tub combustion chamber." I'm not sure if the head will have issues with your old pistons or not. One thing I know is that head should be broken down and cleaned up. Remove the carbon, check the valve and seat surfaces, install new valve stem seals, etc.

Good luck

BTW, most later heads don't have a mechanical tach drive so you may want to look at that now if that's something you need to have.
The following user(s) said Thank You: braddlesnake

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.