Clutch Cable Disengaged

More
14 Nov 2016 12:43 #747957 by fatcat70
Clutch Cable Disengaged was created by fatcat70
I pulled off the left side sprocket cover I think it is to take a look at the starter motor on my KZ550 C-1. When I put the cover back on I think something got messed up with the clutch cable. The tension in the clutch cable feels pretty normal, but I can't get the push button to start the engine (the starter motor is receiving voltage) and I can't shift into first gear either. This leads me to believe that the clutch isn't completing the circuit for ignition and also isn't engaging the clutch since I cant shift.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Joel

1980 kz550 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
More
14 Nov 2016 13:05 #747961 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Clutch Cable Disengaged
The clutch interlock switch is in the hand lever on my 750. I only have to pull the lever in part way to be able to engage the starter motor.

More
15 Nov 2016 15:27 #748052 by bluezbike
Replied by bluezbike on topic Clutch Cable Disengaged
Make sure the clutch cable end is situated properly in the cover (ask me how I know) and redo the proper tension...what happened on my bike is that the PO's mechanic had installed a clutch cable but the cable end did not seat properly and therefore when it popped in one fine day I lost all ability to control the clutch......puckered right up I can tell you..... :ohmy:
......also while replacing the cover you may have inadvertently parted/severed a connection to the starter, all those wires run behind the cover....at least they do in my 1000.

79 KZ 1000 LTD
77 KZ 1000 B1 LTD (awaiting electrical resurrection)