Tuning the ears. Exhaust sounds

More
11 Nov 2016 20:27 #747793 by Jekyll86
Tuning the ears. Exhaust sounds was created by Jekyll86
Hello Gents!

This is my first motorcycle build and I have been playing around with a couple variables to see what happens. I have noticed an exhaust sound that is accentuated when the baffles are removed from my exhaust. What Im referring to specifically occurs when chopping the throttle after revving to moderate/high Rpm. If I let off on the throttle easy and do not let it snap back, it does not occur. It's easily observed in the video not he first and third revs. I have a couple of hunches, but want to see if any of you have an idea as to what it may be.

Attachment IMG_4225.MOV.mov not found

It isn't really something that bothers me but I wonder if it is a symptom of an underlying issue.

The bike and potentially relevant info:
-Kz700 with 810 kit
-Pods (carbs jetted and tuned well)
-Stock header pipes (4 into 2)
-short high flow mufflers (baffles taken out for video as this accentuates the sound and can be heard easily in the video).

1984 KZ700A1 Franken-saki
810 kit
Attachments:

IMG_4225.MOV.mov

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Nov 2016 20:41 #747794 by Jekyll86
Replied by Jekyll86 on topic Tuning the ears. Exhaust sounds
I also realize thats not the best video in the world. I can get another shot of it tomorrow when the neighbors won't hate me quite as much.

also, I have been attaching the file and clicking the insert button but the videos aren't showing on the page without the link. any suggestions?

1984 KZ700A1 Franken-saki
810 kit

More
12 Nov 2016 07:22 #747809 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Tuning the ears. Exhaust sounds
I can't seem to get it to play. Maybe it's an apple format?
I would get a youtube account. That makes it universal and will show up in posts as a clickable video image.

More
12 Nov 2016 07:54 #747811 by JOE MKII
Replied by JOE MKII on topic Tuning the ears. Exhaust sounds
I listened to the video, My uneducated non-expert opinion of the sound is that with a short unbaffled exhaust like you have that is the sound you are going to get.
I bet the sound would change based on carb/filter set up, CV carbs vas slide carbs, baffle cone shape and of course baffle material in the exhaust.
Straight pipe Harleys have a very similar sound when the throttle is closed abruptly.

I believe its called "Oppositional Defiance Disorder"