GPZ750 Valve retainer

More
10 Nov 2016 12:37 #747712 by Madtrout
GPZ750 Valve retainer was created by Madtrout
I was adjusting my valves today and had no clearance on #3 Exhaust valve. Took out the camshaft and bucket and noticed that the shim was not even up to the top of the valve retainer. So putting in a thinner shim would have no effect on the clearance. Can the valve retainer be machined down a few thousandths to give me more clearance and the ability to use a thicker shim? Thanks, Mark

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Nov 2016 13:26 #747714 by Jompa
Replied by Jompa on topic GPZ750 Valve retainer
Not the retainer, but the top of the valve stem.

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
More
10 Nov 2016 13:48 #747717 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic GPZ750 Valve retainer
Cutting the valve stem will make the shim sink deeper wouldn't it?

How thick is the shim in question? Unless it's at the minimum thickness, I don't understand how this issue can occur.

BTW, I think you could cut down the top valve spring retainer but I doubt you could get enough out of it to move the shim more than a size or two.

More
10 Nov 2016 13:49 #747718 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic GPZ750 Valve retainer
The under side of the bucket has a protrusion that should sit on the shim and keep the retainer from riding on the bucket.
You need to check this first as you may be ok to just fit a thinner shim.
if you are on the thinnest shim size you need to check the installed stem height to see if the stem can be tipped.
If someone has already tipped the valve and maybe took off more than the limit and the bucket IS actually riding on the retainer then yes you could skim a bit off the top of the shim recess wall but you need to know what you are doing.
Either way the valve stem should be sitting higher than the bottom of the shim recess otherwise you are looking at trying a new valve in its place to get the clearance back.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

The following user(s) said Thank You: Madtrout

More
10 Nov 2016 14:03 - 10 Nov 2016 14:04 #747721 by Madtrout
Replied by Madtrout on topic GPZ750 Valve retainer
The valve stem was tipped during the course of a valve job last winter. 8,000 miles later there is no clearance at that valve. The bucket is now riding on the valve retainer and not making contact with the shim at all. The shim is setting below the top of the valve retainer. The only way I see to get more clearance and have the bucket ride on a shim, is to shave the top of the valve retainer.
Last edit: 10 Nov 2016 14:04 by Madtrout.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
10 Nov 2016 15:04 #747726 by SWest

More
10 Nov 2016 15:40 #747729 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic GPZ750 Valve retainer

Madtrout wrote: The valve stem was tipped during the course of a valve job last winter. 8,000 miles later there is no clearance at that valve. The bucket is now riding on the valve retainer and not making contact with the shim at all. The shim is setting below the top of the valve retainer. The only way I see to get more clearance and have the bucket ride on a shim, is to shave the top of the valve retainer.

You can "shave" some material from the top of the retainer to expose the top of the shim which will allow the bucket to sit on the shim but you need to be sure that the valve stem is protruding above the bottom of the retainer recess and that the shim isn't actually bearing down on the retainer also.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

The following user(s) said Thank You: Madtrout

More
10 Nov 2016 19:58 #747739 by Madtrout
The valve stem is sitting fine. I'll take a few thousandths off the top of the retainer so the shim is clearing enough for the bucket to sit properly. Thanks for all of your feedback. I'll report back when it is done.. Mark

More
12 Nov 2016 07:46 - 12 Nov 2016 07:46 #747810 by Madtrout
Morning all. Here's the update. I successfully took off a few thousandths from the retainer and now the shim clears the top of the retainer. I used a Dremel tool with a right angle adaptor to get a good level approach to the area. I'm now using a 2.40 shim with room to get smaller if I ever need to. The new cam chain from Z1 comes in today and I'll be attempting to thread the new chain to the old one and peen the link. Wish me luck! Thanks for all of your advice . Mark

Attachment IMG_3550.JPG not found

Mark
Attachments:
Last edit: 12 Nov 2016 07:46 by Madtrout.