What brand aftermarket gaskets are any good?

More
30 Oct 2016 09:31 #746549 by 1959xlch
Hello, I have a 1981 KZ440LTD that I feel needs to be re-ringed. It keeps fouling out the left cylinder spark plug, has only about 60 psi of compression. I can oil the cylinder, get the compression back up to about 120-125 and then it goes back down after running it. I filled the cylinder with compressed air, and the air leaks from the crankcase, not the intake or exhaust. Sooo, what aftermarket gaskets do you guys use? Looks like everyone does not like the Athena sets. Also any good ring recommendation? The bike sat for many years as shown by the bike only having 5K miles, I will also need some valve seals. It would be silly not to replace them while the head is off. :) Thanks for any information. Ride safe.

Attachment Resize.jpg not found

1981 KZ440LTD
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Street Fighter LTD
  • Away
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
30 Oct 2016 10:38 #746561 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic What brand aftermarket gaskets are any good?
Dont know the availability for your 440 but Cometic are top of the line gaskets for the 1000s

Dave

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
More
30 Oct 2016 12:28 #746570 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic What brand aftermarket gaskets are any good?
OEM Kawasaki gaskets and seals are the best in most cases. One possible exception is that there are some nice viton valve stem seals on the market.

More
30 Oct 2016 15:11 #746604 by 750 R1

Street Fighter LTD wrote: Dont know the availability for your 440 but Cometic are top of the line gaskets for the 1000s

Dave

Agreed, Cometic MLS head gaskets are the best by far, make sure the heads surface is glass flat.....

More
02 Nov 2016 16:08 #747002 by 1959xlch
Replied by 1959xlch on topic What brand aftermarket gaskets are any good?
Excellent, I will look into Cometic gaskets. Does anyone have a good source for them?

1981 KZ440LTD