Question shimming?

More
21 Sep 2016 09:53 - 21 Sep 2016 10:11 #743089 by JoHNY
Question shimming? was created by JoHNY
Made the mistake when I rebuilt the engine of mixing up the shims. As a consequence I have three tight shims. Would the best way to get the right size is to remove the shim, replace the bucket (without shim) and cam? In theory the gap should measure 2.something mm. Is that correct or am I way off the mark here?

Kawasaki Z750P7 Spectre, Triumph Daytona 955i, Honda CBR1000FN
Last edit: 21 Sep 2016 10:11 by JoHNY.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Kray-Z
  • User
  • I need more power Scotty....
More
21 Sep 2016 11:12 #743100 by Kray-Z
Replied by Kray-Z on topic Question shimming?
I wouldn't....the cams are not intended to make contact with the buckets on shim over bucket (i'll use abbreviated SOB, but not everyone does the same abbreviations so be warned) followers, and the shim is required to be in place on shim under bucket (SUB) followers or the bucket might push down on the retainer and not the valve stem, which could dislodge the valve keepers and drop a valve into the cylinder.

If it is SOB and you already have it assembled, then I would start making notes on which valves have clearances and which are tight, then one at a time remove the shims and record which valve and the corresponding shim thickness. Once you know what all of them are, you can play some mathematical matching games to figure out which shim goes where, a few at a time...and a bit of trial and error.

If you have SUB, then this is the best - go buy a complete set of 8 shims in the minimum thickness and install them. Cams in place for test no. 1, measure all the valve clearances and record them. Then measure all the old shims, and do the math game again until you have figured out the positions of all 8 of the old shims on paper. Then you only need to pull the cams out one more time.....re-install shims in calculated original positions and re-check clearances again...all should work out within spec.

If you don't mind buying the 8 thin shims (thank goodness it is an 8 - valve head - huh?), you could use the SUB method for the SOB to save some time and effort.....

2-04 R1, 81 CSR1000, 81 LTD1000, 2-83 GPz1100, 3-79CBX, 81 CBX, 3-XS650, 84 Venture, +parts
Quote "speed costs money...how fast do you want to go?" (Which Z movie?)
Universal formula for how many motorcycles one should own = n + 1, where n is how many motorcycles you own right now....

More
21 Sep 2016 12:41 #743106 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Question shimming?
I suggest purchasing a thin "checking shim" of known thickness, install it, measure the lash, and then calculate the proper shim size you need and order.

More
21 Sep 2016 12:57 #743107 by JoHNY
Replied by JoHNY on topic Question shimming?
It's basically 3 shims which are out of spec, 2 ex and 1 in. Had the exhaust cam off this evening and the 2 tight ex shims are 2.4. Now what I did (please point me out if I've done wrong) is took out the bucket and shim on of the ex valves. Then I replaced the bucket (without shim), laid down the cam (TDC 1 - 4) there is no tension on on the cam. So I laid the ex cam and bunched some feeler gauge blades together which came to 2.20 and ran it between the bucket and cam. Now.....I'm thinking this is not precise enough so I'm thinking of buying a bunch of shims 2.40 down and trying each one. Trouble is this will prove expensive

• Kray-Z
  • User
More
21 Sep 2016 13:21 #743110 by Kray-Z
No, if you only have 3 valves out of spec. and the other 5 are o.k.

Buy 3 thin shims and use those to check and calculate what you need....if your lucky, that is all you will need.

Like I said before, you probably shouldn't try to install a shim under style bucket follower without a shim in place...you might drop a valve into a cylinder if you inadvertently knock out a retainer collet, and that won't give you a correct clearance # anyway....

2-04 R1, 81 CSR1000, 81 LTD1000, 2-83 GPz1100, 3-79CBX, 81 CBX, 3-XS650, 84 Venture, +parts
Universal formula for how many motorcycles one should own = n + 1, where n is how many motorcycles you own right now....
The following user(s) said Thank You: JoHNY

More
21 Sep 2016 14:06 #743115 by JoHNY
Replied by JoHNY on topic Question shimming?

Kray-Z wrote:
Buy 3 thin shims and use those to check and calculate what you need....if your lucky, that is all you will need.

Best plan

More
21 Sep 2016 15:33 - 21 Sep 2016 16:09 #743126 by daveo
Replied by daveo on topic Question shimming?
Maybe I'm wrong, but I sense you are making a simple procedure complicated. :unsure:
As Ed suggested, one thin shim is all you need. Then just move it from one bucket to another while calculating off the measurements you take.
Are you leaving the cams bolted-in while removing and replacing shims?

Your question: "In theory the gap should measure 2.something mm. Is that correct or am I way off the mark here?"
I believe so...way off, that is :blink:

The correct Kawasaki specified lash/gap measurement is between .05 and .150 mm. for my 1100 engine.

1982 KZ1100-A2

Last edit: 21 Sep 2016 16:09 by daveo.

• Kray-Z
  • User
More
21 Sep 2016 15:55 #743128 by Kray-Z

daveo wrote: Maybe I'm wrong, but I sense you are making a simple procedure complicated. :unsure:
As Ed suggested, one thin shim is all you need. Then just move it from one bucket to another while calculating off the measurements you take.

Daveo- If this is a 650, 750 or other with shims under buckets, then the cams have to come out every time for an adjustment to each / every valve...

Also, might damage the cam lobes by turning the engine without shims on top of the buckets, or dislodge a valve keeper and maybe even drop a valve into a cylinder if engine turns without a shim under a bucket, as bucket could depress just the retainer and spring...probably not going to happen, but I think anyone would regret not spending the $40-60 for extra shims if it did!

The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest

More
21 Sep 2016 16:14 #743130 by daveo

Kray-Z wrote:

daveo wrote: Maybe I'm wrong, but I sense you are making a simple procedure complicated. :unsure:

Daveo- If this is a 650, 750 or other with shims under buckets, then the cams have to come out every time for an adjustment to each / every valve...

Also, might damage the cam lobes by turning the engine without shims on top of the buckets, or dislodge a valve keeper and maybe even drop a valve into a cylinder if engine turns without a shim under a bucket, as bucket could depress just the retainer and spring...probably not going to happen, but I think anyone would regret not spending the $40-60 for extra shims if it did!

Yikes, I thought the 80's bikes were shim on top, except GPZ engines. My bad. :whistle:

1982 KZ1100-A2

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
21 Sep 2016 16:20 #743132 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Question shimming?
Shim under is the way to go with hot cams. B)
Steve

More
21 Sep 2016 16:32 - 21 Sep 2016 16:35 #743136 by daveo

swest wrote: Shim under is the way to go with hot cams. B)
Steve

I like the :kiss: method, so the 84 GPZ cams will be it for me.
:lol:

1982 KZ1100-A2

Last edit: 21 Sep 2016 16:35 by daveo.

• Kray-Z
  • User
More
21 Sep 2016 16:51 #743137 by Kray-Z

daveo wrote:

swest wrote: Shim under is the way to go with hot cams. B)
Steve

I like the :kiss: method, so the 84 GPZ cams will be it for me.
:lol:

You should be using the shim under and GPz retainers and springsfor those cams! I would keep the revs below 8500, then....