KZ750 F1 Oil and Gas Light Pulse Together

More
19 Sep 2016 18:59 #742948 by Mac55
1983 KZ750 LTD F1, 4 cylinder

Hey all, just a little while ago I was riding with my girlfriend on the highway and my oil and fuel light started pulsing on and off sporadically. I also noticed at one point that the tach was twitching and would fall and then go back up with no change in input. I was holding constant throttle and couldn't feel any change but those three indicators were all sort of freaking out. Earlier tonight i put my mufflers back on after running straight piped for a few weeks due to missing muffler connector gaskets. I haven't changed anything else on the bike. Plenty of fuel and oil in the bike.

I also noticed at one point during the ride were the bike acted like it was going to stall out while riding at about 15-20 mph but after reaching a stop light and starting back out everything seemed fine. Not sure what's going on, bike has always performed solidly since I bought it back in November of last year but since putting mufflers back on things seem to be acting off. Any ideas as to what is going on?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Sep 2016 19:14 #742950 by Fire ranger 18
Replied by Fire ranger 18 on topic KZ750 F1 Oil and Gas Light Pulse Together
Not sure of your exact bike but I would start with checking the connections at your batter and then your electrical connectors and switches

81 KZ1100 A-1

More
19 Sep 2016 19:22 #742951 by Mac55
Replied by Mac55 on topic KZ750 F1 Oil and Gas Light Pulse Together
You think the problem might be electrical? Now that I'm thinking about it there was a pretty big storm yesterday and my bike was outside. I noticed some water spill out of somewhere when I put it on the center stand to get the mufflers on earlier today but didn't think too much of it.

More
19 Sep 2016 20:02 - 20 Sep 2016 14:04 #742958 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic KZ750 F1 Oil and Gas Light Pulse Together
The 750-F1 has an electronic tachometer that gets its signal from one of the ignition coil primary wires, so maybe the pulsing is related to the tach, perhaps from a short or something. ???

The manual should have a troubleshooting section on the tachometer. among other things, from memory, a 1000/1100 manual says to make sure the meters are mounted securely, so make sure they are secure. if not, I guess there could be grounding issues. ???
Last edit: 20 Sep 2016 14:04 by martin_csr.

More
25 Sep 2016 08:41 #743498 by Mac55
Replied by Mac55 on topic KZ750 F1 Oil and Gas Light Pulse Together
Figured it out, I had a loose banana plug connection under my seat. It was one of the wires to my ignition so basically every little vibration would turn off the bike for a split second and the two lights coming on was everything initializing. This also explains why it felt like it was stalling at low speed. The ignition was basically being shut off and reconnected a few times each second and because I was low in the revs I felt it more than I did at high revs on the highway.

More
25 Sep 2016 15:55 #743532 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic KZ750 F1 Oil and Gas Light Pulse Together
Glad to hear you found the problem & it was easy. Thanks for the report. :)