Changing gear ratios

More
16 Aug 2016 18:47 #738969 by SmokyOwl
Changing gear ratios was created by SmokyOwl
I have a hypothetical question on dabbling with the gears in my 82 KZ1100. I find that usually I will skip gears, generally using 1-3-5 gears on my way up to 30mph. The gearing is obnoxiously tight in my opinion, useful only when running to redline.

My inquiry is my primary drive ratio. It's currently stock at 1.181, I'm wondering if changing the gear ratio to just 1.00 is possible, if anybody's ever done it, etc. This would make the bike run at lower rpms at highway and interstate speeds in 5th gear, running just 3,500 rpm instead of 4,200 rpm at 70mph, making long touring runs easier on the engine.....according to gearcommander.

I don't think hill starts would be too much of an inconvenience with as tight as the gears are now...there should be some acceptable wiggleroom. It's likely that a custom gear shop would be in order, and it'd be pretty pricey, but has anybody done this on a shaft drive?

1982 Kawasaki KZ1100 A2, Shaft

Never trade the thrill of living for the safety of existance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Aug 2016 22:15 #738987 by DGA
Replied by DGA on topic Changing gear ratios
I find my '83 1100 Spectre to be the same, the gearing seems too low. But after riding a lot and trying to decide what is really going on, I think it's that the motor has a really wide powerband, and starts making useful power at under 3,000 rpm. The thing is so tractable. Next thing is that because it's an inline four, the motor is a bit buzzy, vibration wise, and it SEEMS to be revving when it really isn't that bad. If you wind it up some through the gears, then the ratios seem spaced out wide enough. Of course, doing that, you are waaay over speed limits, when telephone poles pass by like a picket fence. And it does top out at 142 mph, and for me, with no fairing, it's more than I like to go anyway.

"83 KZ1100 Spectre, '81 Yamaha XV750 Cafe, '74 Kawasaki H2B 750

More
17 Aug 2016 05:20 #738997 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Changing gear ratios
Try comparing the stuff on your bike to the 79 or so shaft drive models. I think they are geared differently or something, but I don't recall any specifics. Someone over at the Kawasakimotorcycle.org site investigated this a few months back.

More
17 Aug 2016 09:35 - 17 Aug 2016 09:37 #739012 by DGA
Replied by DGA on topic Changing gear ratios
I have a Yamaha XV750 cafe bike, and the shaft drive ratios on those bikes is the same thing, too low gearing, and Yamaha never made any different ratios for them, any gearing change was internal in the motor. Might be nice if a taller gear final drive was available as a bolt on, but it's usually not the case, cheaper for the manufacturer to just change a pair of internal engine spur gears than a bevel drive gear set.

"83 KZ1100 Spectre, '81 Yamaha XV750 Cafe, '74 Kawasaki H2B 750
Last edit: 17 Aug 2016 09:37 by DGA.