Keep, sell, or throw out?

More
27 Jul 2016 14:41 #736409 by nitrokeeb
Keep, sell, or throw out? was created by nitrokeeb
When I bought my bike, the original engine had been swapped out for one from a '76 900. I did get the original engine in a set of plastic tubs. The tubs are heavy and take up a lot of room. I hate to get rid of anything I might one day need, but not every part on the engine is a wear item.

Teardown or major modification of the 900 motor is not in the near future, but I wouldn't mind compiling parts to end up with a 1075, ported head, and mild cams.

Head: I think the head should be kept. I can always have it sent off for porting/valve work prior to teardown of my current motor. That way I have one ready to go on.

Cylinder: I would love to have my spare block bored for 1075 pistons, but it does have a few chipped fins from when the cylinder head was pried off. I think I would be better off finding another block to bore.

Case: I think this could go on eBay. It has a few broken bolts that would need to be drilled out, but I don't see anything else wrong with it. What are the chances I would ever need a spare block?

Crank: Are crank failures common? Even if my current crank spins, it can still be welded, no? I don't think I need to keep it.

Transmission: Maybe worth saving. Might get to aggressive and bend a shift fork/round off the cogs.

Anything else I should plan on holding onto?

1978 KZ1000B LTD w/KZ900 engine

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
27 Jul 2016 15:34 #736412 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Keep, sell, or throw out?
Keep it all for parts. Tranny dogs get munged up, the forks not as much. Fins can be welded.
Steve

More
27 Jul 2016 16:47 #736425 by SmokyOwl
Replied by SmokyOwl on topic Keep, sell, or throw out?
I agree, keep it all. Throw in some desiccant or lime packs with the parts to prevent rust during storage.

1982 Kawasaki KZ1100 A2, Shaft

Never trade the thrill of living for the safety of existance.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
27 Jul 2016 17:13 #736429 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Keep, sell, or throw out?
I wish I still had all the spare engine parts and cases the Meth Heads stole for scrap. Could have saved me $$$$'s.
Steve

More
27 Jul 2016 19:14 #736436 by riturbo
Replied by riturbo on topic Keep, sell, or throw out?
Keep all the parts . It's good insurance . You know you will need them as soon as there gone . The stuff is getting harder and harder to come by .

Gpz 750 turbo The one I ride
Gpz 750 turbo Not finished
Gpz 750 turbo Not started
Gpz 550 1981
Gpz 550 1983
Bunch of other junk

More
28 Jul 2016 01:30 #736455 by car5car
Replied by car5car on topic Keep, sell, or throw out?
Sell everything on ebay.

96 Yamaha Royal Star
82 Yamaha Virago 920