Exhaust muffler change

More
27 Jul 2016 13:37 - 27 Jul 2016 13:39 #736402 by SmokyOwl
Exhaust muffler change was created by SmokyOwl
Hey fellas, I'm looking to do a swap-out of my mufflers. I know changing stock to 4-into-1 exhaust requires fiddling with the carburetor, but would just changing from the pair of stock mufflers to a pair of aftermarket (I'm going with a pretty simple 3" sideswept, 30" length) cause engine issues?

I'm doing this just to change things up a bit while protecting and cleaning out the original mufflers.

1982 Kawasaki KZ1100 A2, Shaft

Never trade the thrill of living for the safety of existance.
Last edit: 27 Jul 2016 13:39 by SmokyOwl.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jul 2016 14:04 #736405 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Exhaust muffler change
If you keep the stock airbox system intact installing some different mufflers shouldn't cause much issues with the jetting.

The Dunstall replica mufflers have received some decent reviews.

More
27 Jul 2016 16:53 #736427 by SmokyOwl
Replied by SmokyOwl on topic Exhaust muffler change
I asked a guy at work on his thoughts, (he owned a motorcycle shop once upon a time) and he told me that jetting might be necessary :dry: . I'd imagine it'd depend on the bike/specs. I jokingly suggested that I should install a butterfly valve so I could adjust the back pressure....and he said they used to do that for tuning and that it wasn't a bad idea at all. So IF I run into problems I guess I have a backup plan :laugh: . Anybody ever do this? Seems simple enough to do.

1982 Kawasaki KZ1100 A2, Shaft

Never trade the thrill of living for the safety of existance.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
27 Jul 2016 17:32 #736432 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Exhaust muffler change
Not worth it. Tunable exhaust like a Super Trap system is good. If you buy a 4/1 with the stock baffle, all you might have to do is go up one step on the pilots. Maybe on the mains too.
Steve