Shifter neutral position

More
20 Jul 2016 09:59 #735580 by Shdwdrgn
Shifter neutral position was created by Shdwdrgn
1981 KZ1000J, my Clymer manual says to position the transmission gears in neutral for reassembly. OK that part looks good and everything rotates freely. But now I'm trying to put the shifter in the neutral position they show, and it doesn't quite match. There is an outer disk with a black ring. The ring has a gap that shows the position, and when I rotate it like the picture, the slots for the shift forks no longer have an opening for on of the fork pins to drop into.

So does anyone have a picture of what position it should be in for neutral? Or perhaps a pic of the rod that moves the forks?

And while I'm at it, just to double-check myself... When reassembling the case halves, I have the oil pump in place, one rubber gasket for an oil passage, and two pins for positioning the case halves (and the center crank block has been torqued down). Is there anything else internally that I'm forgetting?

1981 KZ1000-JK1
She's a beautiful mess, and I've made her all mine

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jul 2016 10:04 #735581 by missionkz
Replied by missionkz on topic Shifter neutral position
Here is a good example of why I would always defer to the actual Kawasaki Service Manual, not an aftermarket preparation.
Also, even though not exactly the same bike, I love watching those old Kawasaki service movies on You Tube!

Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.