camchain stretcher

More
12 Jun 2016 10:46 #731082 by Swedez500
camchain stretcher was created by Swedez500
Hi there! New in this forum. Anyone have mercy to reply on this matter?

I dissembled the cylinder head on my z500b3 -81, BEFORE I removed the camchain tensioner lockingrod....

Well I know, dont tell me... Stupid is the word....

Have I done A major f--- --? Or what do you guys say?

When installing the cylinder head cover it seems I need to press it down A bit with the rubber chainprotection inside the cover. About 5mm....

Many thanxs ahead for help!

/matt

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
More
12 Jun 2016 11:16 #731085 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic camchain stretcher
You don't have to remove the tensioner when dissembling the head, but you need to remove the tensioner spring cap and loosen up the cross wedge before reinstalling the valve cover.

More
12 Jun 2016 12:26 #731086 by Swedez500
Replied by Swedez500 on topic camchain stretcher
:) thanx for quick response! Ok. This is how I did: took the cover off, painted it, put it back. First mistake i guess... Without starting or rotating anything I 2 days later did this: losened up the spring and crosswedge, took the cover of, put a new gasket on and closed the cover and last put the cross wedge back in place. Is it normal to have to slightly press the cover down over camchain?

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
More
12 Jun 2016 13:05 #731087 by Nessism
Depending on the position of the cams the chain may be somewhat taught between the cams, but as long as the cross wedge and spring are not installed while installing the valve cover I wouldn't worry much.

More
12 Jun 2016 13:14 #731088 by Swedez500
Ok. So then i have A problem since I put on the cylinder top cover before removing the wedge etc explained in previous comment? And once again thanx for your support...

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
More
12 Jun 2016 13:25 #731089 by Nessism

Swedez500 wrote: Ok. So then i have A problem since I put on the cylinder top cover before removing the wedge etc explained in previous comment? And once again thanx for your support...

Well, I don't think it's a huge problem as long as you removed the cap/spring/loosened the wedge before running the engine a bunch. Doing that will allow the wedge to find a happy place before the chain is spinning like crazy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Swedez500

More
12 Jun 2016 14:13 #731090 by Swedez500
Ok. Sounds good. Thaught I had ruined it somehow because of the oneway-only self tensioner. ..

"The best but most expensive way to learn is through mistakes wright?"
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1