Newbie in need of advice, big block turbo

More
08 Jun 2016 16:21 #730626 by swirl
Firstly Hi, my name is Swirl i'm from the UK and a relative novice with Kawasaki's, having owned plenty of Suzuki's Honda's and a couple Yamaha's along the way never a Kwaka, I've bought a Sept 76 Z1000, which has already been chopped about with monoshock, fj running gear, Harley tank etc, any how it had a gearbox problem which required the crankcases splitting, pistons are oversized I think, while where at it i'm thinking about a future Mr Turbo kit for it, so the engine is out head is being gas flowed, i'm after some advice on which way to go, This is its 3rd reincarnation, 1st built by Kawasaki all them moons ago, then the nineties chopped by a guy In the chopper club, in 1999 rejuvenated by a guy called PT a custom polisher from down south somewhere, then to me a couple of weeks ago.

Stainless valves.
Big block or just go upto 1075
compression ratio for Mr Turbo Kit

I'm not after massive horsepower gains as it will mainly be a show and sunny day bike 150bhp will be plenty running lowish boost, what advice can you turbo guys give me. Thanks Swirl

[IMG

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jun 2016 16:49 #730628 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Newbie in need of advice, big block turbo
A 1075 turbo would be plenty with that set up youve got there.
Dont get crazy porting the head for a turbo motor,Spend your money on a good valve job and maybe a little exhuast port work.
Dont get caught up in the stainless steel valve/titanium retainers............. craze,Use good valve springs.
Spend money on the bottom end of motor,welded crank and replace anything questionable. :)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
08 Jun 2016 16:51 #730630 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic Newbie in need of advice, big block turbo
Welcome to KZR
A few of us here do the Turbo thing :evil:

Use MTC 1075 CC piston kit in stock block. 7.8 to 1 ratio . This is a great size motor for a Mr Turbo kit.

Stainless steel valves are a good move too.

Stock cams will be fine

PM me for more info or seek out Zed1015 from the UK for more local advice.

I have run a Mr Turbo set up for 30 plus years

Welcome
Dave B) B) B)

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn
Attachments:

More
08 Jun 2016 17:06 #730632 by swirl
Replied by swirl on topic Newbie in need of advice, big block turbo
Thanks for the info guys, pm'd Zed1015, will await his reply(middle of the night here) here's one of my buddies rides and my inspiration,

[IMG

More
08 Jun 2016 22:58 - 08 Jun 2016 23:02 #730650 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic Newbie in need of advice, big block turbo
Hi, Swirl.
I run the Orient Express turbo z900 turbo funny bike amongst other stuff ( click on the "drag bike rebuild" link at the bottom of this reply ).
It is 1075 cc and currently kicks out 230hp at around 30 psi with a Rajay turbo so you can see that a bored out std block will be plenty for the road.
I'm currently building a Z1R turbo for myself and that is the capacity i'm going with.
The minimum work i recommend is -
Std block bored to 1045cc or 1075cc with Wiseco or MTC turbo pistons which are approx 8 to 1 comp.
Welded crank is a MUST.
HD cylinder studs.
A port clean up. (no need to go mad on porting for forced induction)
std or unitrack cams and new valve springs .
Cometic gaskets.
Tsubaki camellia HD cam chain.
Manual cam chain tensioner (APE/PMC etc)
Decent ign system - DYNA 'S and green coils at the minimum.
Might want to go with a lock up clutch if HD springs aren't enough and also look at solid liska type idler sprockets for the cam chain if the std ones are deteriorating as the Liska are stronger and usually cheaper than OEM
Bolt on a turbo kit and dial in 8 to 12 psi for 150hp - ish.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

Last edit: 08 Jun 2016 23:02 by zed1015.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PLUMMEN, swirl

More
09 Jun 2016 11:27 #730700 by swirl
Replied by swirl on topic Newbie in need of advice, big block turbo
Cheers Zed1015, i'll Pm you shortly and start annoying you with daft questions :laugh:
Just notice your on 1015 posts aswell :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: