Z1E's throttle cables for '76 KZ900B (LTD's)...

More
31 May 2016 10:47 #729358 by Rockranch
I was wondering if anyone else has recently bought or used these throttle cables from Z1E?...

www.z1enterprises.com/product/TU06-3019

It seems they now sell a different cable than what I bought from them in the past. If so, have you had problems with the fit of these cables on your 900 LTD's? The item description is a bit confusing as to needing 2 of the same cable, or one of the above cable and one of these... (they both show the same 44.5" length...one with 3.5" of slack and the other has 4.0" slack)

www.z1enterprises.com/product/TU06-3020

The old cables I'm thinking of it seems had a different inner and outer throttle cable like the oem part #'s show for this model bike. Any input wld be awesome and much appreciated, as this particular cable is giving me fits and I never had problems before. It's really seeming like it's about an inch too short. I wld rather find the other style cables with the chrome elbows and nuts, but I can't find them for the LTD's length on other sites. .....................................Mike

Vroom-vroom!!!

(2)-1976 KZ900B-LTD's
1-all stock low mileage...
1 modified
1977 KZ1000 (awaiting resurrection!) :)
...and an old school Honda CB750 Chopper is next on my bucket list!

Oh...and a Pocket Rocket lol!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jun 2016 08:09 #729490 by pete greek1
Replied by pete greek1 on topic Z1E's throttle cables for '76 KZ900B (LTD's)...
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationNo eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationThese are Kawasaki cables, not after market

www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&...dtln3XltXkLkAMuUZxCw
or you could go with this set-up, they say these are for the Mikuni RS series carbs, but I'm pretty sure they would work with stock carbs, as I have RS 34's on my LTD 1000, & am running them with my stock throttle cables, but I would call for length & fitment 1st

Pete

1980 LTD 1000..,1976 LTD 900, have the 1000&900 now. the rest are previous= 1978 KZ 650 B.., 1980 Yamaha XT 500..,1978 Yamaha DT 400.., 1977 Yamaha yz 80..,Honda trail ct 70.., Honda QA 50...5-1/2 hp brigs & straton CAT chopper mini bike...3-1/2 hp mini bike (WHEN GAS WAS ABOUT 45 CENTS A GALLON)!!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rockranch

More
01 Jun 2016 09:21 #729501 by Rockranch
Replied by Rockranch on topic Z1E's throttle cables for '76 KZ900B (LTD's)...
Thanks for the tip Pete. I'll look into it and mull it over. As to your 3rd link, that's good to know, because I'll be using RS38's when I build my 1327 engine on my other bike. I already have the 38RS carbs that I bought (unused) from a friend for about 1/2 of what they commonly list for and I'm going to have the head configured to match the flow of the 38's. Meeanwhile I'm always on the lookout for other outlets for stock control cables. I seldom have a problem with aftermarket parts, however cables are parts that I have had issues with as far as aftermarket quality. If worse came to worse and an urgent need was needed, then I cld easily convert to standard model bars for however long necessary and go with the much more plentiful 'A' model cables. ..............................Mike

Vroom-vroom!

(2)-1976 KZ900B-LTD's
1 modified

More
06 Jun 2016 21:24 #730365 by Rockranch
Replied by Rockranch on topic Z1E's throttle cables for '76 KZ900B (LTD's)...
Still can't get Z1E's cables to both properly connect to the carb pulley. One of them just won't quite free up enough slack. Their product description is a tad confusing as far as needing 2 of the same cable or 2 different cables. OEM part listings show 2 different part #'s for the push and pull cables. I emailed Z1E's tech dept and awaiting a reply. I've swapped out throttle cables half a dozen times over the years without a problem like this one. ..................Mike

Vroom-vroom!!!

(2)-1976 KZ900B-LTD's
1 modified

More
07 Jun 2016 20:50 - 07 Jun 2016 20:55 #730502 by Patton
Am thinking that the difference between the two throttle cables is in the curvature where they screw into the handlebar throttle assembly. The difference in curvature is supposed to allow both cables to screw more fully into the handlebar throttle assembly.

If attempting to fit two throttle cables with the exact same curvature, one of them likely won't screw fully into the throttle assembly because of interference with the other cable that's already fully screwed into the handlebar throttle assembly.

The cable that isn't fully screwed into the handlebar throttle assembly may not have enough exposed inner cable at the carb end.

Could test by fitting only the "too short" cable, being sure to screw it fully into the handlebar throttle assembly, to see if it makes a difference by providing a slightly longer exposed length of inner cable at the carb end.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 07 Jun 2016 20:55 by Patton.