1983 KZ550 GPZ H2 w/ 27k miles..

More
16 May 2016 00:28 - 16 May 2016 00:32 #726716 by kosh3rhalal
1983 KZ550 GPZ H2 w/ 27k miles.. was created by kosh3rhalal
Greetings,
Just bought an 83 GPZ that has been sitting for about 10 years. Carbs were pulled off, cleaned and stored off the bike. Tank is rusted, but the wiring harness is solid.. Before I even get to mounting the carbs back on, Should I adjust the valves based on the mileage? Ive been reading a lot from the forums, and can't get a good read, but it seems like a good move before I put the carbs back on and attempt to sync them up. I also got an extra KZ550 motor with the bike that I will attempt to work on as well. I spent the last few days cleaning the bike up and getting acquainted. Any advice is greatly appreciated, this is my first 4 stroke project! :laugh:

Attachment 123.jpg not found

Attachments:
Last edit: 16 May 2016 00:32 by kosh3rhalal.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 May 2016 06:43 - 16 May 2016 09:07 #726739 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic 1983 KZ550 GPZ H2 w/ 27k miles..
Of course you should adjust the valves. That's a nobrainer. The factory manual calls for checking them every 5k miles or so, and unless you have a detailed maintenance history for the bike you cannot be assured it's been done recently, or ever for that matter. There are a bunch of other maintenance items you should also deal with before the bike it put on the road so check your manual for a list. Things like cleaning out the brake system, cleaning electrical connections, etc.

Good luck
Last edit: 16 May 2016 09:07 by Nessism.

More
16 May 2016 08:13 - 16 May 2016 09:19 #726761 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic 1983 KZ550 GPZ H2 w/ 27k miles..
There is a lot to read if this is your first shim-under bucket motor.

My signature has several manuals if you follow the links.
Also, before removing the valve cover, read the warning in my sig about installing the valve cover and the chain tensioner.

Read every thread you can find about changing shims. And be very careful not to strip the threads in the valve cover bolt holes, and the camshaft bearing bolt holes. Clean them out completely. No oil, and no especially no sealer in the holes.

Don't use a wrench to install the cams. Use a 10mm nutdriver. If it binds, undo it and start over. Remove the tach drive, as the manual says. You will be thinking of too many other things while installing the cams, and might forget it's there. That can be a disaster.
Last edit: 16 May 2016 09:19 by loudhvx.

More
16 May 2016 08:51 #726771 by kosh3rhalal
Replied by kosh3rhalal on topic 1983 KZ550 GPZ H2 w/ 27k miles..
Ok! Its crazy how some people take that old KZ "Bullet Proof" advertising to heart :unsure: I had multiple people say the valves barely ever need to be adjusted on the KZ550 motors. And since the maintenance history is only only in vocal form, I can easily say its absolutely necessary. But thanks for the real deal, now Ill have to start studying so I don't mess up the cam chain timing or bend the valves! Thanks Guys, and Loudhvx I will definitely look over your warning on the valve cover, you already saved my a$$ a lot of trouble and I'm sure many others as well. I will have lots of questions as I attempt this ! Thanks again