What Do I Need To Replace in The Clutch

More
11 May 2016 17:25 #725838 by Mac55
Hey all, got a few questions about the clutch on my '83 KZ750 F1. I was practicing clutch wheelies last night on it and today noticed that the clutch seems to slip very easily. The bike still has some pull but if I try and give it any real throttle the engine just revs up while I barely feel any response from the rear wheel, regardless of gear. I've noticed slip before but only in higher gear and when I really open up the throttle. I was hoping to postpone doing clutch work but I think I kinda backed myself into a corner.

So my main question is what exactly needs to be replaced? As far as I know everything is still original and no clutch work has been done on the bike since manufacturing. I know the friction plates are probably gone and when I Google clutches for it I see plenty of those but I've also seen kits with Springs and the other type of plates (not sure what they're called). Should I replace these as well or should I be good with just the friction plates and cleaning everything else or do I just need to open it up and see how things look before I really know?

Link: These are the friction plates that come up first and they seem like a decent option. Opinions on them assuming this is all I need?

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
More
11 May 2016 17:55 #725840 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic What Do I Need To Replace in The Clutch
Better get some heavy duty springs to go with those new friction plates if you plan on doing any more wheelies.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
11 May 2016 18:27 #725846 by SWest

More
11 May 2016 19:12 #725857 by car5car
Replied by car5car on topic What Do I Need To Replace in The Clutch
Most people replace friction disks for no reason. Open service manual and read how to check disks and springs. I repaired clutches in 4 different bikes and disks were good.

96 Yamaha Royal Star
82 Yamaha Virago 920