Kz900 / kz1000 head

More
21 Apr 2016 20:18 #722284 by JDRAKE4200
Kz900 / kz1000 head was created by JDRAKE4200
Hello all. So, I have torn into the engine due to second gear being bad. I really think it is just bent shift fork, but I want to make sure she is 100% so I am going to upgrade while I have her open. Got a back cut tranny, welded crank, stainless valves..... But, I found a major problem that I didn't see when I bought the bike. One of the exhaust bolts is broken off, and there is no room to tap and use an Allen head bolt. I need a clean head with no broken fins, and no begin exhaust bolts. It can be completely stripped..... I need your help guys, there are none on eBay, and I know someone on here has one laying around they aren't using. Here is the kicker....I need to get it cheap. The wife is PISSED about how much money I have spent on this bike. If anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated.

Keep the shiny side up!!!!

1976 KZ900 LTD
2004 Sportster 1200 Custom
1981 KZ550 LTD
1994 GSXR 750

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Apr 2016 03:34 #722298 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Kz900 / kz1000 head

JDRAKE4200 wrote: Hello all. So, I have torn into the engine due to second gear being bad. I really think it is just bent shift fork, but I want to make sure she is 100% so I am going to upgrade while I have her open. Got a back cut tranny, welded crank, stainless valves..... But, I found a major problem that I didn't see when I bought the bike. One of the exhaust bolts is broken off, and there is no room to tap and use an Allen head bolt. I need a clean head with no broken fins, and no begin exhaust bolts. It can be completely stripped..... I need your help guys, there are none on eBay, and I know someone on here has one laying around they aren't using. Here is the kicker....I need to get it cheap. The wife is PISSED about how much money I have spent on this bike. If anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated.

no room to tap -- :unsure:

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
More
22 Apr 2016 10:24 #722373 by z1kzonly
Replied by z1kzonly on topic Kz900 / kz1000 head
Your type is not clear? Do you mean an exhaust stud is broken off flush with the head?
Early 6mm or later 8mm?
Have a picture?
I can even find a junk head on here. I have a couple I am welding up. All my good heads are sold.
The last 2 I sold had exhaust stud area welded up.
Find a good machinist, they can get it out, or a shop with an EDM machine for burning out broken parts.

Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

More
22 Apr 2016 12:01 - 22 Apr 2016 12:02 #722383 by car5car
Replied by car5car on topic Kz900 / kz1000 head
Bring head to automotive engine shop.
If you need to weld aluminum, not so long time ago I paid $125 to repair block hole about 2"x4".
Post picture here.

96 Yamaha Royal Star
82 Yamaha Virago 920
Last edit: 22 Apr 2016 12:02 by car5car.