Crank breather pipe routed to base of oil pan

More
07 Apr 2016 14:26 - 07 Apr 2016 14:27 #719761 by RobK
Hey All,

Got a little mystery part that I was hoping someone knows something about.

Been rebuilding a 75 Z1 engine that was once in a drag bike and have come across something I've not seen before - a pipe routed from the bottom of the breather into the oil pan inside the engine.

Anyone seen one of these before?

Wondering if this was supposed to be part of an oil cooler?

Thanks in advance.

(pic taken from the bottom of the engine).

Attachment Pipe.jpg not found

My mule's got the funny idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize like I know you're gonna...
Attachments:
Last edit: 07 Apr 2016 14:27 by RobK.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
07 Apr 2016 16:32 #719781 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic Crank breather pipe routed to base of oil pan
Thats a new one on me
Does it go deep enough to be submerged in the oil sump ?
Dave B) B) B)

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn
The following user(s) said Thank You: RobK

More
07 Apr 2016 16:38 #719783 by RobK
Oh yeah. Looks to go down to within a 5-7mm of the bottom of the pan.

My mule's got the funny idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize like I know you're gonna...

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
07 Apr 2016 18:24 #719800 by SWest

More
07 Apr 2016 20:03 #719819 by RobK
This pic should give a pretty good sense of how deep it goes. Again, the engine is upside down on a stand and the other end slots into the rear breather hole.

Attachment pipe2.jpg not found

Attachments:

More
07 Apr 2016 20:25 #719823 by azman857
Replied by azman857 on topic Crank breather pipe routed to base of oil pan
I might be completely off the mark here but instead of being a breather maybe it's an oil return from the breather? Like the breather vents to a large can where the oil seperates from the vapers and returns to the crankcse.
Just a thought...

I don't have a plan and I'm sticken' to it! '77 KZ 650 / 750 GPz custom project in progress

More
07 Apr 2016 22:53 #719828 by RobK

azman857 wrote: I might be completely off the mark here but instead of being a breather maybe it's an oil return from the breather? Like the breather vents to a large can where the oil seperates from the vapers and returns to the crankcse.
Just a thought...

That may be. My thinking at this stage was that it was unlikely to be part of a "conventional" breather system as surely as the oil heated and was sloshed around it would make its way up the pipe.

Have been wondering if it was meant to be some kind of return for an oil cooling system.

As mentioned this came off a bike that was formally a drag machine but was really just a roller when I got it and was mostly apart, with the whole top end off. It hasn't been run since probably the early 90s. The bike had a clubfoot swingarm, super long rearset pegs, and some frame-bracing. The engine had a number of drag related mods too, like the starter motor and mechanism had been pulled, head has some porting, what looks to be an aftermarket shift drum, welded crank, etc.

I've stripped everything down, added more bracing to the frame, swapped the swinger for a Zepher 1100 unit with Works shocks, zx7 front end and mags and now I'm re-assembling.

Engine-wise, I'm going with 1075 with Wisco pistons on this guy and some slightly more aggressive cams, a set of 29mm smoothbores and I have a Yoshi 4-1 pipe from the 70s that may or may not be genuine, as I can find no marking on it at all, though if it is a copy, it's a very good one..

Here's a pic of the chassis as it stands now. (please excuse the pic - need to take some better ones).

Attachment 12887353_10153960430309266_1756137528_o.jpg not found

Attachments:

More
08 Apr 2016 01:14 - 08 Apr 2016 02:23 #719830 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic Crank breather pipe routed to base of oil pan
Unless it is a very bad design it cannot be a breather .
For that to work the end must be clear of the oil and then why not just have a pipe ending at the top of the oil filler cap as usual .
It's unlikely to be an oil return for obvious reasons.
So with it being in the oil it really has to be an oil pick up.
If the engine previously had a Rajay turbo fitted it may be the feed for a separate oil pump.
Rajays really need more oil pressure than the lowly 3psi or less that the zed pump kicks out or the centre plain bearing will run dry.
A pic of the other ( oil filler ) end would be good.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

Last edit: 08 Apr 2016 02:23 by zed1015.

More
08 Apr 2016 08:57 - 08 Apr 2016 09:47 #719861 by RobK
Below is a pic of the other end.

As you can see, it ends flush with the top of the case.

Also - the inside of the pipe is not threaded.

Attachment pipe3.jpg not found

Attachments:
Last edit: 08 Apr 2016 09:47 by RobK.

More
08 Apr 2016 09:49 #719869 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Crank breather pipe routed to base of oil pan
As others mentioned, it's probably an oil pickup. If it was anything to do with the breather, any positive crankcase pressure would push oil up the tube. A breather or oil return should end above the oil level in the crankcase.

More
08 Apr 2016 10:44 - 08 Apr 2016 10:47 #719879 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic Crank breather pipe routed to base of oil pan
It's a nice neat job but I can't see any point or use for it as it stands and in 35 years of racing i've never seen that done before and that is saying something.
It's no good as a breather and it would impede oil draining back into the sump via that tube.
Unless there is an 'O' ringed push fit extension as part of the breather cover enabling the attachment of an oil hose externally it is just extra weight.
Maybe there's something missing that got mislaid or not passed on when its racing life ended.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

Last edit: 08 Apr 2016 10:47 by zed1015.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PLUMMEN, RobK

More
09 Apr 2016 19:37 #720114 by RobK
Thanks to everyone who helped out here.

As it seems that if it was part of a system (likely an oil cooling system), that is incomplete the mystery may never be fully resolved and I'll be pulling it as Zed1015 said, it's just extra weight.

Should really do a build thread on this beastie...