Oil Filter Cup Does What?

• loudhvx
  • Topic Author
  • KZr Legend
More
27 Mar 2016 10:16 - 27 Mar 2016 10:44 #717595 by loudhvx
Oil Filter Cup Does What? was created by loudhvx
My buddy was working on a ZN700 and changed the oil and filter. He called me to ask where the metal cup with the filter should go... on top, or on bottom? I told him I always see it on bottom. He said that's what he thought, but this cup looked slightly different and it came out on top. He put it back the way he found it, on top of the new filter.

So I checked Kawasaki.com, and the parts section is still goofy. I found this drawing under "1983 shaft" as the bike model. There was no listing for ZN700. So I'm not 100% certain this is the diagram that goes with the ZN700, but look at the diagram. The cup is, in fact, on top of the filter.

EDIT: As Martin found, it is likely NOT a ZN700 diagram, but probably a ZN1100 diagram. See images below, on subsequent posts.

I know the earlier KZ models did not even have the metal cup. So what does it do?

I thought the cup was to hold a certain amount of oil close to the filter and/or allow you to oil the filter before installation. But that is obviously not the case if the cup is on top.

EDIT: Incorrect image deleted.
Last edit: 27 Mar 2016 10:44 by loudhvx.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Mar 2016 10:23 - 28 Mar 2016 06:13 #717597 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Oil Filter Cup Does What?
The diagram for the 84 ZN700 shows the oil filter plate on the bottom.
I'd guess one of it's purposes is to keep debris & stuff that collects in the oil pan away from the filter element so that it doesn't get clogged. ???

Edit: that diagram appears to be for the ZN1100. its pan & stuff are different so the plate needs to be on top. ???
Last edit: 28 Mar 2016 06:13 by martin_csr.

• loudhvx
  • Topic Author
  • KZr Legend
More
27 Mar 2016 10:40 - 27 Mar 2016 13:35 #717599 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Oil Filter Cup Does What?

martin_csr wrote: The diagram for the 84 ZN700 shows the oil filter plate on the bottom.
Edit: that diagram appears to be for the ZN1100. its pan & stuff are different so the plate needs to be on top. ???

Yes, I think you are right. My buddy said he wasn't sure if it was an 83 or 84 model. The neck probably says 83 as the build date. Since 84 was the ZN700A1 model, I doubt there was an 83 ZN700.

The pans are different which made me suspect the first drawing I posted was a big motor.

I will change the first drawing so as not to confuse anyone.

Attachments:
Last edit: 27 Mar 2016 13:35 by loudhvx.