82 KZ750 CSR Twin. Issues, tips, knowledge?

More
22 Mar 2016 15:04 #716803 by KawiBunga
Just picked up an 82 KZ750 CSR Twin last weekend, it turns over with the kick starter so that's good, but didn't try to fire it up since it's "allegedly" been in storage with all fluids drained for about 5 years.
Odometer says 4,000 miles, hoping that's correct, tabs say 01.

Anyone know common issues with these Twins? Things I should plan for or watch out for?
Things these Twins need beyond a common 4 Cyl KZ's?

Going to add oil, and new battery, gas and such and attempt to fire it up for its first time in a few years. Any knowledge would be awesome since this is my first twin KZ.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Mar 2016 15:39 #716809 by 650ed
Since it's been sitting so long unstarted, after you change the oil, but before trying to start the bike you should kick the kickstarter more than a few times to (hopefully) pump some oil through the system. Otherwise, bearings, cams, etc. are probably going to be pretty dry, and if you start the bike with them dry and it revs up you may have unnecessary wear or maybe even some damage. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: KawiBunga

More
22 Mar 2016 18:32 #716845 by KawiBunga
Replied by KawiBunga on topic 82 KZ750 CSR Twin. Issues, tips, knowledge?
Yeah I was definitely planning on doing that. Do you know if these Twins run hot? The exhaust headers have some mild blueing to them, I figured it was normal being there's only two cylinders and they're having to work pretty hard, but it made me a titch concerned?

More
22 Mar 2016 19:19 #716854 by 650ed
Are they stock pipes? Stock pipes normally do not turn blue unless they have seen extreme heat. This is because the stock pipes are double walled - a pipe in a pipe. Does the bike have the stock air box? If not maybe it's running, or in the past ran, lean. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
22 Mar 2016 19:35 #716857 by KawiBunga
Yeah, they're the stock pipes and airbox, it seems like the back story on it is the original owner bought it, was big into bikes, had a few bikes to choose from, rode it a little, didn't do anything extra to the Kawi, got into gambling, started selling off bikes to pay debts and support his habit. Then the next guy got it didn't know how to ride, so he stored it for about 10 years in his second garage (he had money lol) decided to sell it but had it gone over first at a Kawi dealer, then the guy I got it from bought it to ride as his first bike, first time went to ride it tipped it over (if you look at my post in "projects" you can see the pics) then decided he'd store it until he could get lessons. Ended up getting 3 DWIS lost his license, pissed off his girlfriend she destroyed his guitar, so he traded it to me for a guitar and amp, lol. So most likely and from looking over it, everything on it is definitely stock. Hahaha

More
22 Mar 2016 20:40 - 22 Mar 2016 20:43 #716878 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic 82 KZ750 CSR Twin. Issues, tips, knowledge?

KawiBunga wrote: Just picked up an 82 KZ750 CSR Twin last weekend, it turns over with the kick starter so that's good, but didn't try to fire it up since it's "allegedly" been in storage with all fluids drained for about 5 years.
Odometer says 4,000 miles, hoping that's correct, tabs say 01.

Anyone know common issues with these Twins? Things I should plan for or watch out for?
Things these Twins need beyond a common 4 Cyl KZ's?

Going to add oil, and new battery, gas and such and attempt to fire it up for its first time in a few years. Any knowledge would be awesome since this is my first twin KZ.

Consider pulling the plugs and squirting penetrating oil into the cylinders to make sure the rings are free.

I would definitely dump the oil and replace it.

Twins do not run hot, but they did blue the pipes at the top curve by the engine.

Agree to use the kick starter to pump oil through the engine until your arm wears out to make sure it is "oiled up".

I would check compression to see if the valves are sealing.

I would take the fuel tank off and drain it. Rinse with mineral spirits.

Clean petcock assembly.

drain the carb bowls and fill the carbs with some cleaner and let sit for a few days. Rinse with carb cleaner spray.

Install new fuel filters

One "weakness" on them is the valve seals do need replacing sometimes. They will harden up and leak oil which fouls plugs. I am on my third set of valve seals at 82k miles on my 750 twin.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 22 Mar 2016 20:43 by bountyhunter.

More
23 Mar 2016 11:29 - 23 Mar 2016 11:36 #716962 by pete greek1
Replied by pete greek1 on topic 82 KZ750 CSR Twin. Issues, tips, knowledge?
You should also change the brake fluid, It's probably never been changed & should be, every couple of yr's or so
& you have to get a Kawasaki service/workshop manual for your specific yr. & model bike, It will have the maintenance schedule & procedures, & it probably has 30+ yr. old tires, check for cracks in the threads & side walls, before you take it for a spin
Pete

1980 LTD 1000..,1976 LTD 900, have the 1000&900 now. the rest are previous= 1978 KZ 650 B.., 1980 Yamaha XT 500..,1978 Yamaha DT 400.., 1977 Yamaha yz 80..,Honda trail ct 70.., Honda QA 50...5-1/2 hp brigs & straton CAT chopper mini bike...3-1/2 hp mini bike (WHEN GAS WAS ABOUT 45 CENTS A GALLON)!!!!
Last edit: 23 Mar 2016 11:36 by pete greek1.

More
26 Mar 2016 20:38 - 26 Mar 2016 20:39 #717511 by KawiBunga
OK got it to run for a minute but I had to pinch off a line that came off the carbs, looks like a vent and started dumping fuel after I turned the fuel on. Can you help me as to why this would happen, what that line is and how to fix it?

I attached a photo. Its that clear/yellow tube. It vents to the outside on the the right side of the bike.

Also how can I and what are the repercussions for removing the...what looks like a emissions system?
Attachments:
Last edit: 26 Mar 2016 20:39 by KawiBunga. Reason: Misspelling

More
26 Mar 2016 23:11 - 26 Mar 2016 23:14 #717523 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic 82 KZ750 CSR Twin. Issues, tips, knowledge?

KawiBunga wrote: OK got it to run for a minute but I had to pinch off a line that came off the carbs, looks like a vent and started dumping fuel after I turned the fuel on. Can you help me as to why this would happen, what that line is and how to fix it?

I attached a photo. Its that clear/yellow tube. It vents to the outside on the the right side of the bike.

Also how can I and what are the repercussions for removing the...what looks like a emissions system?

This might fix it:

drain the carb bowls and fill the carbs with some cleaner and let sit for a few days. Rinse with carb cleaner spray.

If not, you will need to drop the bowls on the carbs and remove the needles and seats. You can remove the bowls without removing the carbs with the proper screwdriver.

To stop the flooding you need to polish the needle tips dead smooth and polish the brass seats. You also need to set the fuel levels with a clear tube.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 26 Mar 2016 23:14 by bountyhunter.

More
27 Mar 2016 00:46 - 27 Mar 2016 03:09 #717524 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic 82 KZ750 CSR Twin. Issues, tips, knowledge?

KawiBunga wrote: . . . Also how can I and what are the repercussions for removing the...what looks like a emissions system?

Click > www.kzrider.com/forum/2-engine/590640-he...to-his-82-csr#602307

May remove the clean air paraphernalia shown in the diagram below.

Don't leave any carb vacuum nipple uncapped, because an open vacuum nipple causes an air leak. :pinch:

If the shorter 92059 hose supplied vacuum to the petcock, would attach a replacement hose from the petcock vacuum nipple to one of the carb vacuum nipples previously used for one of the longer 92059.

And cap or plug the snouts on the reed valve covers, or connect the snouts together.

There's no need to remove the reed valve covers.
And the reed valve assemblies located underneath the covers should remain intact and undisturbed.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
Last edit: 27 Mar 2016 03:09 by Patton.

More
28 Mar 2016 09:50 #717766 by KawiBunga
Awesome, excited to pull all that crap off. I'm wanting to rebuild the carbs, does anyone know of a kit I could buy? I know they're Bs34 carbs (at least that's what I've been told being stock) I can find a kit for a kz1000 that uses the same carbs but nothing specific to the 750 twin. Will that kit work on mine being the same carbs? Or does anyone know where I can get a 750 kit?

More
28 Mar 2016 12:20 #717788 by Oldercrow
Replied by Oldercrow on topic 82 KZ750 CSR Twin. Issues, tips, knowledge?
I've been running my valve cover hoses into each other for a month. So far so good. Had to rejet for K&N air pod filters. I'm at 145 main and 52.5 pilot. Running sweet now.

I used this kit www.mikesxs.net/parts/yamaha-xs650-dyno-...le-jet-kit-for-bs-34

But ordered the 52.5 pilots from jetsrus.