Clutch problems

More
19 Mar 2016 12:07 #716171 by noratx
Replied by noratx on topic Clutch problems
I finally found the problem... after following the recommendations I got from you guys, nothing helped, not even changing back to original clutch plates.
After having switched between clutch plates, making sure the steel ball was in place, adjusting the clutch release mechanism etc, I could at least see that the error was on the left hand side of the bike. Anywhere from the clutch lever down to the clutch release lever inside the clutch cover.
The lever and cables looked just fine, but I had the feeling that the clutch cable was too short. Strange though, should it have shrinked while changing the clutch plates? I don't think so!
So, I picked up my flashlight and tried to peek in between the starter motor and the clutch cover to see the movements of the arm, and guess what I saw?
Movement, BUT, it barely didn't pull on the arm at all!
So, off with the clutch cover, and have another look at the clutch release lever when it dawned on me.. could I have mounted the damned lever wrong? Like, turned too far to the left and it just need to be turned a bit to the right, to the next alignment of the ball bearing?

So I took of the clutch cable from the clutch lever, adjusted the screw to give the cable some slack and remounted the clutch release lever.
Released the adjustment screw on the clutch release mechanism, put back the clutch cover and hooked the clutch cable back to the lever.
Tightened the adjustment screw again, tightened the clutch cable adjuster and released the adjustment screw a bit and fixated the locknut.
The clutch worked!
Ok, released the calble and adjustment screw again, went to the right hand side of the bike, switched back to the new friction plates, and tightened the cable and adjustment screw again. Voila, clutch didn't work! Peeked down to see if the release mechanism was still in place... Nope! So back to adjusting it again, and the clutch works now as it is supposed to!

So, now is the question, is this normal? Should you not be able to switch the friction plates without having to look at the mechanism and be afraid that it have moved?
The last time I adjusted it, I looked at the parts, and they looked fine. No apparent wear or damaged bits...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Mar 2016 12:56 #716180 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Clutch problems
Normally it never falls out. But when you take the clutch pressure plate off, the tension holding the mechanism together is gone. I've never seen one fall apart from this, but maybe it's possible, if the cable is trying to do something funny.

Is there a chance you pulled the clutch lever while the clutch was apart? That would explain it, more likely.

More
19 Mar 2016 13:18 #716186 by noratx
Replied by noratx on topic Clutch problems

loudhvx wrote: Is there a chance you pulled the clutch lever while the clutch was apart? That would explain it, more likely.

Nope, I never pulled the clutch lever until I had it all assembled again.