Cracking apart the case halves

More
21 Feb 2016 15:43 #711849 by Shdwdrgn
Cracking apart the case halves was created by Shdwdrgn
1981 KZ1000J, I think I have all the bolts removed around the perimeter, but the case halves aren't releasing and I don't see any good spots where I could try to pry them apart to get the seal to pop. So first off, are there any bolts other than the obvious 10mm and 12mm ones that might also be holding it together? I've removed side covers, the plate over the transmission area, and popped the housing around the ignition area, however I have NOT removed the bottom pan (was hoping to avoid that since there still seems to be some oil in the case). And second, if I do in fact have all the bolts removed, are there any suggestions for breaking the seal?

1981 KZ1000-JK1
She's a beautiful mess, and I've made her all mine

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Feb 2016 16:00 - 21 Feb 2016 16:08 #711851 by GregZ
Replied by GregZ on topic Cracking apart the case halves
Yes you have to remove the pan, there are case bolts under it. Two under the oil pump and two opposite. There are four in the middle for the crank bearing, those do not have to be removed to split the cases

Attachments:
Last edit: 21 Feb 2016 16:08 by GregZ.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
21 Feb 2016 16:18 #711853 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Cracking apart the case halves
Correct, remove the pan. Nice pic Greg. No pry screw bosses and oil scavenge plates cast in?
Steve

More
21 Feb 2016 16:21 #711854 by Shdwdrgn
Replied by Shdwdrgn on topic Cracking apart the case halves
Well crap, that certainly explains why it didn't want to pop apart easily. Got a storm moving in tomorrow, maybe I can find a big pan to flip the engine upside-down onto so the rest of the oil can drain out until I have another chance to work on it. Thanks for the info, this is why I didn't try to force it. :)

1981 KZ1000-JK1

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
21 Feb 2016 16:32 #711855 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Cracking apart the case halves
The early engines have three threaded bolt bosses so you can use the crank bolts to pry the cases apart. Trouble is if you don't get all the bolts you could crack the cases. Make sure you get the few bolts on the top and all the bottom ones. The pan has to come off and the oil pump should be removed.
Do you have a manual?
Steve

More
24 Feb 2016 20:11 #712398 by Shdwdrgn
Replied by Shdwdrgn on topic Cracking apart the case halves
Well I'm getting closer... got the oil pan off tonight and those four internal bolts removed, still not budging though. I don't see anything else on the underside, so if I get a chance tomorrow I'll flip it back over and re-check the top to make sure I didn't miss anything else.

1981 KZ1000-JK1