cam chain length?

More
24 Dec 2015 05:31 #704178 by 82kzn73521
cam chain length? was created by 82kzn73521
Hello everyone,
I am currently working on a 82 kz750 I inherited from my father. A little background on he bike. It had 60k miles on it when it last ran and the reason he quit running it was because the number one cylinder was leaking a little oil and had a slight miss at low rpm's. that was after taking it to a shop to have It shimmed. He let it sit with gas in the tank for a couple of years before giving it to me to fix. From there it sat till I got the time to work on it. Overall it has sat for over a decade. I decided to just do a complete tear down of the entire bike and restore it. Last night I was measuring cam chain length and the Clymers manual stated to measure from the 1st pin to the 21st and that it should be no more than 128.9mm. What I measured was between 129 and 130. So the big question is, with only that many miles should the chain really be at that limit and need replaced? Any input is much appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
24 Dec 2015 05:41 #704181 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic cam chain length?
A complete tear down? Splitting the cases? If so, replace the chain. Pics will help getting more opinions.
Steve

More
24 Dec 2015 05:55 #704185 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic cam chain length?
What model 750? Kawasaki made both twins and fours.

I'm surprised to hear the chain is worn, but it is what it is. I'd change it at this point.

Some people don't realize that the 750/4 model engine has a rub block in the valve cover which depresses on the cam chain. When removing the cover to check/adjust valves the cam chain tensioner rod will spring out and take up the slack after removing the cover. Before installing the cover back on it's necessary to remove the cam chain tensioner spring cap, which will allow the tensioner rod to be pushed back inward. After the cover is back on then the tensioner cap and spring can be installed back. Failure to do this will result in the cam chain being overly light, which can cause abnormal wear.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
24 Dec 2015 06:30 #704187 by SWest

More
24 Dec 2015 06:30 #704188 by 82kzn73521
Replied by 82kzn73521 on topic cam chain length?
Thanks Steve and yes to both questions. I have the entire motor tore down and everything pulled out of the cases. I'll get some pics posted. I know I am going to need to replace all gaskets and seals but would you say all bearings as well? I won't spare any expense for this bike is very sentimental to me. I am even going to have the frame powder coated.

More
24 Dec 2015 06:36 #704189 by 82kzn73521
That is what I thought when I measured. It is the 4 cylinder ltd model. He always babied it and it has always been garaged. Not that that matters. Thanks.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
24 Dec 2015 06:38 #704191 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic cam chain length?
I'd leave the bearings alone unless there was a problem Primary chain too while you're at it.
Steve

More
24 Dec 2015 06:53 #704193 by Nessism
I just finished going through one of those 750 engines. A few things worth doing include updating the clutch hub with new rubber dampers. A guy on kz650.info sells them (on ebay too). New rubber dampers in the primary chain damper assembly too (if you can find them). As for gaskets, I used OEM and recommend them. A LOT of the aftermarket gasket kits are junk. It's not worth the risk of leaks just to save a few bucks. Ebay is full of OEM Kawasaki gaskets anyway so you can get what you need cheap enough.

Most likely you will have to bore the cylinders. Kawasaki didn't do a very good job of maintaining clearance during assembly and after a bunch of mileage there will be wear. Cheapest thing is to get a Wiseco kit, although it's not exactly cheap per say. OEM rings are $200 a set and a head gasket is at least $50, so $400 for the kit isn't too bad when you think about it. Of course you will have to get the cylinder bored so that will add another $200. All I can say is GOOD LUCK with the costs.

More
24 Dec 2015 06:57 #704194 by 82kzn73521
I want to make sure I understand correctly. Are you saying you would replace the secondary or leave it alone like the bearings unless something is wrong? It measured out ok but I don't know if there is life expectancy time frame on the secodary or not. If so and it is just down the road a little ways, then I will replace it also. I obviously don't want to have to go through all of this anytime soon after all is said and done. Thanks Steve

More
24 Dec 2015 07:33 #704197 by 82kzn73521
Thanks Nessism,
My dad left me with an Athena gasket kit and manual. I have always delt with 2 strokes up to this point so this is my first project of this kind. I thank you much for your input. I uploaded some photos but haven't figured out how to attach them to this thread yet. Yeah I know this isn't going to be cheap, but I do want to do it right the 1st time and am in no hurry to throw it back together because that's where mistakes are made. I will definately be looking on Ebay or wherever else to get what is needed to restore this beautiful machine.....well it will be when I am done.

More
24 Dec 2015 07:54 #704201 by Nessism
You couldn't pay me to use Athena gaskets, particularly the green base gasket. it can't take the clamp load force and will extrude out of place after some heat cycles. Don't ask me how I know...

If you have a photobucket or fliker account you can simply attach the IMG link here in your post and the photo will show up. Alternate to that is upload them here.

More
24 Dec 2015 09:42 #704215 by 82kzn73521
That is definitely good to know. I uploaded them to this site but didn't know how to move them from my gallery to this page. Kawasaki doesn't offer a gasket kit do they? None the less, whatever it takes to do it right. Thanks.