Stuck transmission

More
23 Nov 2015 19:13 #700231 by 81GPZ615
Stuck transmission was created by 81GPZ615
Hey I hope someone can help me out here! I have an 81 gpz 550. It stopped shifting from neutral to 2nd. Took all shifting mechanism apart, and they are fine. Split the case and now see that the shift forks get stuck in the barrel grooves at the the shift points. Can't see any obvious signs of wear but they rattle a tiny bit. I am not sure whether its the barrel or the fork guides.

Any ideas, or experience in this area? Also in worst case, what transmission can I swap it for?

Thanks!
Rob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Nov 2015 19:22 #700237 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Stuck transmission
Hope you are not confusing poor shifting with Kawasaki's neutral finder feature. Basically, you can only shift into 1st from neutral unless the bike is rolling.

More
23 Nov 2015 19:55 #700241 by floivanus
Replied by floivanus on topic Stuck transmission

Nessism wrote: Hope you are not confusing poor shifting with Kawasaki's neutral finder feature. Basically, you can only shift into 1st from neutral unless the bike is rolling.

What my first thought is aswell, only other thing is to make sure the shift fork rod is straight, other than that if you got duped by the neutral finder, you arent the only one who has

my bikes; 80kz1000(project), 77 gl1000, 74 h2 (project)
Past; 78 kz1000, 83 kz550
Andrew

More
27 Nov 2015 00:21 #700750 by 81GPZ615
Replied by 81GPZ615 on topic Stuck transmission
Thanks for the replies but it's not the neutral finder. The whole transmission gets jammed, I have the case apart and have been trying narrow down the problem. I am now thinking it is the top output gear on the output shaft does not fully slide left and jams up the whole thing. IT does sometimes if I mess with it for a while, but then if I slide it back right it loses it, even if I'm not spinning the shaft. There's a few little parts in there and something must be off or broken. Deos this make any sense to anyone?

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
27 Nov 2015 04:33 #700764 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Stuck transmission
The output shaft has to spin for it to shift into second hear. Inspect the bearings. Pics?
Steve