motor removal emergency

More
10 Nov 2015 21:45 #698171 by blink543
motor removal emergency was created by blink543
So I'm really embarrassed to even post this but here we go. I was getting ambitious tonight to tear down the bike for paint I had it on the center stand and removed the motor mounts and had a scissor Jack under the motor with a padded board from a weight set to raid the motor up. Eventually while trying to pull the motor up the weight shifted forward and the center stand collapsed and the bike fell. So now it's on the frame. Looks like the center bar under the motor is dented badly. The rear tire is off o forgot to say. Now that I'm thinking thst was a really stupid idea. Got any ideas how I should deal with this? I'm guessing I need another person

Adam james

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Nov 2015 23:08 #698172 by BritGuyUSA
Replied by BritGuyUSA on topic motor removal emergency
So - if I'm understanding you, the bike, with the rear wheel removed, rolled forwards off the center stand when you shifted the weight of the engine forwards.

The center stand is now back in it's retracted position, and the bike is laying, still upright, but on the lower rear frame rails/swingarm?

Is the engine still being supported by the lower loops of the frame? Is it laying on top of a toppled scissor jack?

Do you have another jack to help you lift everything? Do you have tie-down straps, or similar?

A picture would really help.

'75 Z1-B, '78 CB750K8, .79 CBX1000, '85 VF1000R, '94 XR650L, '95 Triumph Speed Triple

More
11 Nov 2015 02:50 #698184 by blink543
Replied by blink543 on topic motor removal emergency

BritGuyUSA wrote: So - if I'm understanding you, the bike, with the rear wheel removed, rolled forwards off the center stand when you shifted the weight of the engine forwards.

The center stand is now back in it's retracted position, and the bike is laying, still upright, but on the lower rear frame rails/swingarm?

Is the engine still being supported by the lower loops of the frame? Is it laying on top of a toppled scissor jack?

Do you have another jack to help you lift everything? Do you have tie-down straps, or similar?

A picture would really help.

I took off the swing arm too and the scissor Jack was underneath but I got it out from under it. I don't have tie straps

Adam james

More
11 Nov 2015 02:59 #698186 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic motor removal emergency
Not sure I'm understanding properly but one option is to lay the bike down on it's side with the engine on the ground, then lift the frame up from around the engine. I've used this technique before and it worked well. You may have to remove the front end to lighten the load but do what you must.

• Street Fighter LTD
  • Away
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
11 Nov 2015 03:33 #698189 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic motor removal emergency
2 people needed or more . Can be awkward so more is better

Or a engine hoist or chainfall with straps you could do it with little to no help.
Be careful
Dave

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

More
11 Nov 2015 03:54 #698191 by Kidkawie
Replied by Kidkawie on topic motor removal emergency
Removing/installing a big 4 banger solo....

1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125

More
11 Nov 2015 04:41 #698196 by Rockranch
Replied by Rockranch on topic motor removal emergency
A good 'stand-by' engine removal/installation technique for 1 person. If the bike is upright, it shldn't take much to lay the bike on it's *right* side and work the frame off the motor...as long as all parts are properly removed according to the standard engine removal procedure. A blanket under the right side when laying on it's side will keep scratches to a minimum. Good luck.................Mike

Nessism wrote: Not sure I'm understanding properly but one option is to lay the bike down on it's side with the engine on the ground, then lift the frame up from around the engine. I've used this technique before and it worked well. You may have to remove the front end to lighten the load but do what you must.

(2)-1976 KZ900B-LTD's
1-all stock low mileage...
1 modified
1977 KZ1000 (awaiting resurrection!) :)
...and an old school Honda CB750 Chopper is next on my bucket list!

Oh...and a Pocket Rocket lol!!!

• 9er rider
  • Sustaining Member
  • Keep a cool tool
More
11 Nov 2015 04:45 #698197 by 9er rider
Replied by 9er rider on topic motor removal emergency
I think laying the bike over and using blocks under the motor to level it is about the easiest without a balancing act.

76 kz 900 1075 76 kz 900 a4 78 kz 1000 ltd

• Street Fighter LTD
  • Away
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
11 Nov 2015 11:41 #698252 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic motor removal emergency

Kidkawie wrote: Removing/installing a big 4 banger solo....

NICE
Dave

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

More
11 Nov 2015 11:49 #698254 by Rockranch
Yeah I suppose as long as the rider isn't still attached to the seat when a bike is in that position...then all is well. :)

Street Fighter LTD wrote:

Kidkawie wrote: Removing/installing a big 4 banger solo....

NICE
Dave

(2)-1976 KZ900B-LTD's
1 modified

More
11 Nov 2015 11:55 #698255 by blink543
Replied by blink543 on topic motor removal emergency
I got it out I think I did alright.

Adam james
Attachments:

More
11 Nov 2015 12:00 #698256 by Rockranch
YAAAAAAAAY!!! All is well and no catastrophies!!! Way to go. We were all rootin' for ya! :) .........Mike

(2)-1976 KZ900B-LTD's
1 modified