Valve Adjustment

More
01 Nov 2015 08:41 #696723 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Valve Adjustment
When the bike is running there is pressure fed oil holding the cam in the center of the journal clearance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Nov 2015 09:39 - 01 Nov 2015 09:39 #696731 by missionkz
Replied by missionkz on topic Valve Adjustment

Nessism wrote: When the bike is running there is pressure fed oil holding the cam in the center of the journal clearance.

You'd think if the oil pressure did not hold the journals centered, you be burying one, every stroke, in the babbit and wiping it out.
When the engine is not running... it seems like all the oil could squeeze out if the cam flexes a bit.
Interestingly, when I dry fitted one cam at a time and check shim clearances, they were a solid half thou off from the two points discussed.
Before I put my top end back together, I also used plastigauge (dry) to see where they all were and actually had two bearing sets that were a little big, so I put four new bearing halves in the head.... others were good.
I wish I would have remembered if those shims were the ones that were a half thou off.... :(

Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado
Last edit: 01 Nov 2015 09:39 by missionkz.

More
01 Nov 2015 10:40 #696740 by zukdave
Replied by zukdave on topic Valve Adjustment
If someone thinks the cam is flexing their just fuckin stupid.
Put a cam in a press setting on two side by side bearing journals
with a dial indicator and see if it flexes before it breaks.
Cast iron does not bend.

1980 KZ650 F1
ZX750A1 motor.
Wiseco 810cc kit.
Zukiworks racing ported head.
VM 29 smooth bore's.
Dyna 2000 Ign. w/Dyna mini coil's
APE cylinder stud's and nut's.
APE valve spring's.
APE Track King clutch.
V/H KZ1000 sidewinder.
3.5x18 laced to a KZ1000 disk hub.
150/60/18 Shinko 006 Podium.
63" wheel base.

More
01 Nov 2015 10:50 - 01 Nov 2015 10:50 #696743 by Nessism
The cam is not flexing enough to matter. It's moving in the journal clearance.
Last edit: 01 Nov 2015 10:50 by Nessism.

More
01 Nov 2015 11:10 #696748 by zukdave
Replied by zukdave on topic Valve Adjustment
If the cam is moving in the journal it's making metal to metal contact
goddamn listen to what you're saying

1980 KZ650 F1
ZX750A1 motor.
Wiseco 810cc kit.
Zukiworks racing ported head.
VM 29 smooth bore's.
Dyna 2000 Ign. w/Dyna mini coil's
APE cylinder stud's and nut's.
APE valve spring's.
APE Track King clutch.
V/H KZ1000 sidewinder.
3.5x18 laced to a KZ1000 disk hub.
150/60/18 Shinko 006 Podium.
63" wheel base.

More
01 Nov 2015 11:15 #696750 by jackleberry
Replied by jackleberry on topic Valve Adjustment

zukdave wrote: If the cam is moving in the journal it's making metal to metal contact

Maybe you should calm down and try measuring it both ways yourself sometime. It's not a huge difference, but it may make the difference between one shim size and the next, and that could really matter if you're on the low end of the clearance range. I don't think Kawasaki developed the procedure just to piss you off.

1997 KZ1000P (P16)
2001 KZ1000P (P20)

More
01 Nov 2015 11:27 #696752 by Nessism

zukdave wrote: If the cam is moving in the journal it's making metal to metal contact

The journal clearance is what? .003" or so?

What do you think happens to the cam sitting in the journal clearance when the adjacent valve is pushing up? Answer: the cam is pushed up so it contacts the cam cap bearing surface. So instead of there being .0015" clearance all around the cam like it will be when running, the cam has literally 0 clearance at the top of the cam, between the cam cap, and .003" clearance at the bottom of the cam, between the journal in the head. Use your 180 degree measuring method and the measurements will be off by about .0015".

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
01 Nov 2015 12:20 #696761 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Valve Adjustment
This time around I put in new bearings. I tried adjusting both ways. There was a slight difference. Not much but it was there. I do it two at a time now. The cam isn't flexing, it's the clearance in the bearings.
Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism

More
01 Nov 2015 16:07 - 01 Nov 2015 16:21 #696794 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Valve Adjustment

Nessism wrote: By adjusting the valves in pairs the adjacent valve is on the base circle as well as the valve being adjusted.

The FSM I posted is from the 750 twin. I don't believe there is a point of cam rotation on the 750T where both valves are on the non-lift portion of both cams at the same time, at least that's what I found when assembling the head. If there was a spot, it would have made assembly easier. Maybe that's why they use the 180-away method for adjusting valve clearance.

As for "false clearance readings", I have seen them when I accidentally released cam chain tension when rotating the engine using the 17mm wrench by reversing direction of rotation to get the cam lobe "centered up" pointing away from the valve. It is, as somebody else stated, due to up-down play the camshaft has in the journals. With full tension on the chain, it minimizes clearance. And worst case, it can vary a couple of thousandths.

And I did check clearance in every cam journal with plastigage, all were nominal.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 01 Nov 2015 16:21 by bountyhunter.

More
01 Nov 2015 22:32 #696836 by RandomKZ650
Replied by RandomKZ650 on topic Valve Adjustment
I just check mine at tdc for each piston

77 kz650 C1

More
06 Nov 2015 14:48 #697525 by GatlinM
Replied by GatlinM on topic Re:Valve Adjustment

bountyhunter wrote: As for "false clearance readings", I have seen them when I accidentally released cam chain tension when rotating the engine using the 17mm wrench by reversing direction of rotation to get the cam lobe "centered up" pointing away from the valve. It is, as somebody else stated, due to up-down play the camshaft has in the journals. With full tension on the chain, it minimizes clearance. And worst case, it can vary a couple of thousandths.

This may have been the problem I currently have. I checked clearances a couple months ago, using the 180 method. Pretty certain I reversed direction while trying to moved valves into place.

I'll be pulling the bike apart tomorrow to check, I've been having a pretty noticeable tick/knocking in the case, that resembles the problems in this thread.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
06 Nov 2015 15:00 #697530 by SWest