What is it called??

• I_Tig_in_piece
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
28 Sep 2015 17:32 - 29 Sep 2015 05:05 #692422 by I_Tig_in_piece
What is it called?? was created by I_Tig_in_piece
I'm bout to start fabbing up my header and exhaust but I'm missing 2 important items that are needed before I can even start, and I haven't the slightest idea what they're called to buy a pair. Basically what I need is an insert/flange type deal that would go inside the followed by the half moon collars then lastly the aluminum flange/retainer. Following? It'll save me a lot of time to not have to spin some on the lathe cause I'll probably get too creative with it. I'll post a pic for reference... Thanks in advance!!

ed

Cheap labor isn't skilled, skilled labor isn't cheap.
1980 KZ440a. I went green.
If you yourself are building an older bike and can see it through till you're riding it, that's proof you have patience.
Last edit: 29 Sep 2015 05:05 by KZQ.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Sep 2015 18:11 - 28 Sep 2015 18:13 #692427 by Irish Yobbo
Replied by Irish Yobbo on topic Wth is it called??
You have a 1980 KZ440A listed in your footer, so I'm guessing that's what it's for. There are a few good websites that have exploded diagrams for each model of bike. The one I use is Partzilla, have a look here:

www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Kawasaki/...780+A1%29/parts.html

I think the parts you are after are the "Exhaust Pipe Holder", "Muffler Collar" and "Exhaust pipe gasket", parts 5,6 and 9 in the diagram.

1981 KZ750 LTD
Last edit: 28 Sep 2015 18:13 by Irish Yobbo.

• I_Tig_in_piece
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
28 Sep 2015 21:58 #692443 by I_Tig_in_piece
Replied by I_Tig_in_piece on topic Wth is it called??
thanks for trying Irish, I've already got those. Finally got a pic of what I need..
I'm pretty sure it's gonna be an aftermarket deal. I'm just surprised I haven't been able to find anything.

I've seen flanges with a 1.5id welded to it then you build from that, but then there's a huge void right out of the exhaust port before the EG's smash against that flange. Oh and Ill have to get gaskets for that type of flange too? Pass..

I could just "cut off" what I need off my stock pipes, but that'll just ruin them and with the luck I've been having lately, it'll probably break right at the weld since I'm using .049 wall ss. :pinch: I'm very well capable of making what I need, guess I'm just being lazy and burnt out with other things "life" throws at ya. Would be nice to know what to call such a piece though?

ed

If you yourself are building an older bike and can see it through till you're riding it, that's proof you have patience.
Attachments:

More
29 Sep 2015 02:35 - 29 Sep 2015 02:40 #692451 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Wth is it called??
Here's a KZRider topic with good photos by Patton. Exhaust copper o-ring too thin

In patton's pics the exhaust headers have flared tips. Most 80s models have flanges welded to the header tips & use
shorter half-moon exhaust collars. KZ750 muffler w flange
Last edit: 29 Sep 2015 02:40 by martin_csr.

More
29 Sep 2015 04:42 #692463 by floivanus
Replied by floivanus on topic Wth is it called??
Take your pipe to an exhaust shop, if they have a cone that fits your pipe they can put a slight flare to it, flip their cone and flatten it, we used to do it all the time to hook headers up to cars, instead of buying flanges

my bikes; 80kz1000(project), 77 gl1000, 74 h2 (project)
Past; 78 kz1000, 83 kz550
Andrew

• I_Tig_in_piece
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
29 Sep 2015 20:37 #692569 by I_Tig_in_piece
Replied by I_Tig_in_piece on topic What is it called??
Thanks for that link to pattons thread Martin, that is by far the biggest example pic I've seen. Im just being lazy to make my own. I can just machine some collars out of schedule 40ss and weld them to the pipe just enough for the aluminum flanges to hold them tight. I thought for sure their would be a special name for them? Ah well..
Thanks for your suggestion Flo about flaring it then flattening it. I've never been able to do that with any pipe smaller than 2.25"o.d. I've made so many press tools to flare, slip fit, square, oval, reduce and dimple.
Here's a small portion of my messy collection of them..

Every time I try a smaller dia. pipe, the flare either goes sideways, splits at the seam (I'm cheap and get the seamed U-bends for a smokin deal from ATP and Reid Washbon :P) or it gets a little crush just under the start of the flare..
Hopefully ill have something started later in the week, so anxious to hear what it's gonna sound like with a fabbed exhaust? I'll order a foot of some schedule 40 in the morn along with some exhaust packing material.

ed

Attachments: