engine no harness how to get it to work ?

• kennystclair93
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
28 Sep 2015 16:36 #692406 by kennystclair93
engine no harness how to get it to work ? was created by kennystclair93
I have a 1981 650 motor that the wire harness got burned up is there a way to run this motor without the electrical stuff ? I am new to motorcycle engines. I mostly mess with cars so any help would be greatly appreciated

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Sep 2015 16:42 #692407 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic engine no harness how to get it to work ?
No.

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
28 Sep 2015 16:43 #692409 by punisher11b
Replied by punisher11b on topic engine no harness how to get it to work ?
Bummer about the harness. Short answer, I don't think so. Your best bet will be to replace it with one off eBay or something in my opinion.

- good luck

• kennystclair93
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
28 Sep 2015 16:49 #692412 by kennystclair93
Replied by kennystclair93 on topic engine no harness how to get it to work ?
Thank you for the quick reply. I was afraid that was gonna be the awnser. Because it burned up the computer and all. Does the harness have to be from a 81 650 or will other engines or years interchange ? I just need it to run and drive. It going on another project.

More
28 Sep 2015 17:07 #692419 by 650ed
You will need to get the electrical equipment and harness that matches your engine. There are 4 different charging systems used by various KZ650 models, so things need to match or they won't operate. Ed

More
29 Sep 2015 02:12 - 29 Sep 2015 02:15 #692447 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic engine no harness how to get it to work ?
It would be simplest to get the stuff from an 81 650-CSR. The next closest matches would be the 82-83 models. The 750-4 chain drive models share some components with your bike, such as the ignition coils, pulsing coil & igniter.

You can compare parts at Kawasaki.com or Partzilla etc. At partzilla you have to log in to see the full part numbers on the diagram pages or just click the part to get to the cross-reference w part number.

I would get new Dyna coils from Z1Enterprises.com & probably put together the homemade igniter
on loudhvx's motorcycle stuff page.

The following site has the 81 KZ650 pdf manual with wiring diagram in the Files section. jarlef z650
Last edit: 29 Sep 2015 02:15 by martin_csr.

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
More
29 Sep 2015 05:08 #692465 by Tyrell Corp
Replied by Tyrell Corp on topic engine no harness how to get it to work ?
You can do that, just needs to power up your coils, pick up and IC ignitor. You can do this just with a few jumper wires if you can follow and interpret the wirirng diagram.

Always nice to hear a motor running before you remove it.

1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces

More
29 Sep 2015 05:27 #692472 by 650ed
If the "electrical stuff" that burned includes the regulator/rectifier; coils; battery; and all the associated wiring and harnesses it's going to take quite a bit of work and parts to get it running again. Is the "I just need it to run and drive" objective to get the bike back on the road or is the engine going to be installed in a different bike? Ed

More
29 Sep 2015 05:47 - 29 Sep 2015 05:50 #692475 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic engine no harness how to get it to work ?
Maybe post a pic or two of what you're dealing with. I guess the first order of business would be to remove the left & right engine covers to inspect for fire damage. Depending upon how bad stuff got crispy fried, you might be able to salvage some of the components by cutting back the pigtail wiring, then install new terminal pins & connectors.

Z1Enterprises.com has a good selection of wire & stuff. then get an open barrel crimper to make some repairs.

Regulator-Rectifier. credit to loudhvx. You can use a voltage regulator from a Ninja 500 or Vulcan 500 up to around 2009. $20-30T on eebbaayy. I installed one from a low mileage 07 Ninja --- the connector was reversed from stock, so I had to change the terminal pins & install a new connector. easy. (the old connector was shot anyway).
Last edit: 29 Sep 2015 05:50 by martin_csr.

• kennystclair93
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
29 Sep 2015 13:10 #692528 by kennystclair93
The motor is going onto a kart project. I Baught the bike with no title and some very sketchy frame work extension work the motor ran fine but leaked gas from the carburator. Now thanks to a buddy of mine who decided to rev it up before shutting it off (knowing that it was open header and shot a flame) has a burnt wiring harness and computer and pretty much everything electrical except the coils. I can get a picture but not for a few days. So by I just need it to run and drive I mean I don't need lights and such because it's going on kart.

More
29 Sep 2015 14:31 #692535 by floivanus
Replied by floivanus on topic engine no harness how to get it to work ?
Well, I'd say your buddy owes ya a wire harness, but why were you running a bike with leaky carbs anyway? Takes almost no time to clean them. If you do it right you only need float bowl gaskets.

PS, that ain't a computer, it's an IC Ignitor.

my bikes; 80kz1000(project), 77 gl1000, 74 h2 (project)
Past; 78 kz1000, 83 kz550
Andrew

• kennystclair93
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
29 Sep 2015 14:47 #692539 by kennystclair93
We were running it trying to fix the carburator. A float was stuck. Then after pulling the carburator on and off then running in to test it all day. That's when that happend. And thanks I thaught it was a ecu I'm not fimilar with bikes so I didn't know if there was a way to make it work or not.