High Idle Speed - cant figure it out!

More
25 Sep 2015 03:10 #691837 by H-Bomb
Hi all,
My KZ750Twin starts and runs perfectly - apart from one thing...when she starts she runs at a normal idle, but once warmed up the idle rises to rest at circa 3000 rpm.

I have added pods - but it was in fact doing this before I made the change.

I am assuming I have an air leak somewhere so have bought some starter fluid that I am being very sheepish with -thing is if she is already at 3000 rpm its hard to know if it goes higher from just starter fluid - is this problem likely to be down stream of the engine block around the carbs? of the engine or could it be near the front of the engine too - say exhaust or gasket or something leak or something.

Could I tune it out by adjusting the carbs? I thought it unlikely to be that given she idles fine cold, but then goes high when warmed up..

All feedback welcome. FYI I could not find any info in the manual to help sort this out.

Cheers!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Sep 2015 03:22 #691839 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic High Idle Speed - cant figure it out!
When starting the bike cold, are you using the choke & are you touching the throttle grip?

I would get it running right first with the airbox --- adding the pod filters kinda complicates matters. Troubleshooting this sort of thing isn't my forte, but you may need to rejet the carburetors & do some tuning for the pods.

More
25 Sep 2015 03:26 #691840 by H-Bomb
Replied by H-Bomb on topic High Idle Speed - cant figure it out!
Thanks martin.
I am just using the choke, no throttle needed when starting cold.

More
25 Sep 2015 03:33 #691842 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic High Idle Speed - cant figure it out!
Pods require major rejetting. Not just upping the main. If anyone sells a jet kit you should consider buying it. Dynojet for example.

A high idle suggests a vacuum leak. The carb boots are often the culprit. A high idle could also be caused by poor carb sync or a lean mixture at idle. I'd go through the carbs and replace all the various O-rings, install a jet kit to compensate for the pods, vacuum sync, and set the pilot screws for the highest idle methodology.

Good luck,
The following user(s) said Thank You: H-Bomb

More
25 Sep 2015 04:00 #691843 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic High Idle Speed - cant figure it out!
Perhaps the carb butterflies could be adjusted and synced toward slightly more closed at idle position.

The following links should contain a downloadable manual -- free -- which will hopefully include some helpful info as to carb adjusting on the KZ750 twins.

kz750twins.com/?p=15

biquetoast.com/cgi-bin/750ManualList.cgi

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: H-Bomb