Valve adjustment without shims?

More
20 Sep 2015 09:05 - 20 Sep 2015 09:06 #691010 by Turbo99397
Valve adjustment without shims? was created by Turbo99397
I have a 1980 kz1000, is there anyone who can link me to the basic info on valve adjustment procedure, pics preffered.

Can the valve clearances be adjusted without the use of shims? I have not had the valve cover off yet, but I don't have any of these shims on hand,n so assuming there's adjustment to be made, am in going to need a shim set?
Last edit: 20 Sep 2015 09:06 by Turbo99397.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Sep 2015 09:21 #691014 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Valve adjustment without shims?
It is not a terribly complicated procedure, but there are about a thousand ways to screw it up, some can be catastrophic. You really need a factory service manual. It carefully explains the procedure and has pictures. Somebody on the forum may have a PDF copy they can send.
Yes, you will need shims. That is how the gap is adjusted. Unless you have a friend, or know of a shop that will swap and sell individual shims, you will need to own or have access to a shim kit. You will also need proper feeler guages, tools to remove and install the shims, basic wrenches and JIS screwdrivers, or suitably modified Philips screwdrivers. Most importantly, you will need that factory service manual. It is the one published by Kawasaki. Not Haynes, nor Clymer, nor Uncle Bob.
With the proper tools, parts and instructions, it is really not a tough job.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
20 Sep 2015 09:23 #691015 by missionkz
Replied by missionkz on topic Valve adjustment without shims?
You need to measure the existing gap as it is, then remove the actual shim and read what number is inked or etched on it.
Then you use a chart from the FSM to tell you number you need, from that one you removed, that gives you the spec'd gap.
When you have all those numbers, you order the shims you need and let the bike sit a week. Sorry.
By the way... except if you did a recent valve grind job... it is very unlikely that you'll need to buy but just a couple three shims to get it back to stock.
They just don't need a new shim that often unless very high mileage.
Over the last 40,000 miles I checked mine four or five times and have replaced only three shims.
However, after a recent rebuild and a fresh valve job with three new valves (on a different back up head) I needed to move all the current stock of my shims around and had to buy three fairly thin shims then I had in hand.

Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado

More
20 Sep 2015 09:48 #691017 by kaw-a-holic
Replied by kaw-a-holic on topic Valve adjustment without shims?

missionkz wrote: You need to measure the existing gap as it is, then remove the actual shim and read what number is inked or etched on it.
Then you use a chart from the FSM to tell you number you need, from that one you removed, that gives you the spec'd gap.
When you have all those numbers, you order the shims you need and let the bike sit a week. Sorry.
By the way... except if you did a recent valve grind job... it is very unlikely that you'll need to buy but just a couple three shims to get it back to stock.
They just don't need a new shim that often unless very high mileage.
Over the last 40,000 miles I checked mine four or five times and have replaced only three shims.
However, after a recent rebuild and a fresh valve job with three new valves (on a different back up head) I needed to move all the current stock of my shims around and had to buy three fairly thin shims then I had in hand.

I'm currently in the same spot. I had new valve seat cut and valves tipped so I went from 2.50+ to down to the 2.30-2.55 range. Needless to say I had to buy all new. I used these guys www.motoparthub.com/?search=29mm+shims&x...775616.34&formValid= as they were only $23.41 for a set of 5. I know there are guys here that are willing to swap shims with you here.

Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project