Kz 440 dies when hot

More
08 Sep 2015 05:38 #689130 by cb
Kz 440 dies when hot was created by cb
Hello to all members. My name is Jani, i am from Slovenia -so- sorry about my English !

I have bought a Kawasaki KZ440 A1 LTD, year 1980. When i bought it, it didnt start. Spinning was good. So I have changed Akku, Oil, Oil filter, spark plugs, new points, new capacitor, and put Pod Air filters on. In old oil i have found one crashed O-Ring so i oppened the lower side of the engine and didnt found no missing O-Ring. Cleaned carbburators, put all together, set the timing, set the valves and tried to start, but ihave made a mistake - forgot to instal the chain tensioner. When i started something kicked /knocked prety loud so ive stoped. Ive opened the head cover to check valves - everything was in place, set the valves again, and tried to start. It starts great, good iddling, but afther it gets hot it looses power, chokes and dies, like its not geting the fuel, but the sparks are black (too reach). When i try to start again, the starter does not have the power to spin (like the battery is empty, but it isnt). When i remove the sparks, starter can spin again. Looks to me like the presure is building in,... Set the timing once more, set the carburator Floats, visualy sinhronize the carbs, set the valves again,... and ...... its the same.

Is this siezed engine? Should i reset the valve chain? Shoul something be bent like Crankchaft or Valveshaft?

Please help
tx

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Sep 2015 08:50 #689164 by missionkz
Replied by missionkz on topic Kz 440 dies when hot

cb wrote: Hello to all members. My name is Jani, i am from Slovenia -so- sorry about my English !

I have bought a Kawasaki KZ440 A1 LTD, year 1980. When i bought it, it didnt start. Spinning was good. So I have changed Akku, Oil, Oil filter, spark plugs, new points, new capacitor, and put Pod Air filters on. In old oil i have found one crashed O-Ring so i oppened the lower side of the engine and didnt found no missing O-Ring. Cleaned carbburators, put all together, set the timing, set the valves and tried to start, but ihave made a mistake - forgot to instal the chain tensioner. When i started something kicked /knocked prety loud so ive stoped. Ive opened the head cover to check valves - everything was in place, set the valves again, and tried to start. It starts great, good iddling, but afther it gets hot it looses power, chokes and dies, like its not geting the fuel, but the sparks are black (too reach). When i try to start again, the starter does not have the power to spin (like the battery is empty, but it isnt). When i remove the sparks, starter can spin again. Looks to me like the presure is building in,... Set the timing once more, set the carburator Floats, visualy sinhronize the carbs, set the valves again,... and ...... its the same.

Is this siezed engine? Should i reset the valve chain? Shoul something be bent like Crankchaft or Valveshaft?

Please help
tx

A bent exhaust valve from improper valve timing will stay slightly open and greatly overheat the head in that area causing all kinds of problems.
Also, there will be quite a loss in power with a bent valve too.
I would check the valve timing first and or at least a cold engine compression test with all the spark plugs out and the throttle wide open.

Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado

More
08 Sep 2015 10:38 #689181 by LineArtist
Replied by LineArtist on topic Kz 440 dies when hot
Could be a bad coil, catching heat and not sending power to spark plugs. I suggest you remove the coils and test them on a bench. Add heat with a heat gun or blow dryer and notice if the OHM goes up with heat. if it does you have a bad coil most likely cracked somewhere.

'79 KZ650B3 (stock)
'79 KZ650B3 (parts bike)
'06 HD 883R

More
11 Sep 2015 00:02 #689562 by cb
Replied by cb on topic Kz 440 dies when hot
Have tested the coil cold and hot, but ohms stays whitin the limit range.
Tx