1975 yama kz650 starter wont turn

• patrickjudkins
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
31 Aug 2015 07:12 #688007 by patrickjudkins
1975 yama kz650 starter wont turn was created by patrickjudkins
i recently traded for 2 yamaha, im currectly fooling with a i believe its a 75 kz650, i have gotten it to kick start and run for a few seconds feeding gas thru the carb openings, so i know it starts and runs, im trying to figure out why the starter wont kick over because my foot is killing me from kick starting, i have a neutral light, doesnt feel like theres much clutch but i have the clutch pulled in and it doesnt even attempt to turn, doesnt even make a sound, sometimes a red indicator light near the gauges comes on but thats it. Im thinking i may have a bad solenoid (as i call it not sure what its actually called) but it has the main 12v power coming off my batter goes straight to one side, it has a small red and a small blue and then a big gauge wire that goes to the starter. If i jumper the red one to power everything comes on liek neutral light and head light and the bike will kick start, but it wont do that on its own i have to jumper it, so i think that solenoid isnt working and i believe the blue wire is the trip for the starter but am unsure if it shorts to ground when you press the start button or if it connects 12v? can anyone help me out here i know nothing about these, took them in on trade because i thought i could tinker with them but havent made it far

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Aug 2015 07:30 #688012 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic 1975 yama kz650 starter wont turn
Wow. I have no idea what motorcycle or motorcycles you are trying to work on. What the heck is a 1975 yama KZ650, and are you saying you have 2 of them? Can you share photos? Is the kill switch in the "RUN" position? Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• patrickjudkins
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
31 Aug 2015 07:37 #688013 by patrickjudkins
Replied by patrickjudkins on topic 1975 yama kz650 starter wont turn
sorry they are xs650 yamaha, i typed that wrong. the kill switch is a 3 position off is up, run in the center, off to the bottom, it seemed really loose to i took it apart and wired thru it. when its wired thru the neutral light i son, and disconnected no neutral light. like i said itll start, with the kill switch wired thru, squirt gas in carb, neutral light on and kick starting it will fire right up.
Attachments: