750/4 Secondary Shaft Drive Damper Rubbers

• Nessism
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
30 Aug 2015 09:09 - 30 Aug 2015 09:11 #687818 by Nessism
Rebuilding a 750E engine and noticed some play in the secondary drive coupling hub. Dampers are shrunk and hard. Ordered up some new dampers from Partzilla and waiting and waiting... Tried Bike Bandit and they found four (need eight), but at least they had them to me fast. In the mean time Partzilla said they finally received the parts so those are inbound too. At any rate, parts availability is not the question, just venting a little.

Question: the dampers have numbers on them. Does anyone know if these numbers have significance? I'm assuming no but not sure. Maybe they are mold cavity numbers? Doubt they have 60+ cavities though. I've measured the rubbers and can't see any difference. Any wisdom on this situation is welcome.

[IMG

[IMG

[IMG
Last edit: 30 Aug 2015 09:11 by Nessism.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tyrell Corp

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Aug 2015 09:22 #687822 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic 750/4 Secondary Shaft Drive Damper Rubbers
I don’t believe the numbers are meaningful as far as using the dampers. I have a set of 8 NOS ones that all came in the same, original 10 pack (2 had been removed). They have different numbers molded into them with the lowest number being 38 and the highest being 56. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
More
30 Aug 2015 10:16 - 30 Aug 2015 10:21 #687837 by Tyrell Corp
Replied by Tyrell Corp on topic 750/4 Secondary Shaft Drive Damper Rubbers
Interesting, all my clutch baskets have some play, but none of my three 550 primary hubs on the bench right now.

My guess is if there are any relevant differences in the size or weight between the damper rubbers the last digits of the part number will be different - as with all parts that come in different sizes. The colour coded main bearing inserts, or different thickness z900 crank dampers, for example, each with it's own unique part number.

1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces
Last edit: 30 Aug 2015 10:21 by Tyrell Corp.

• Nessism
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
01 Sep 2015 20:30 #688253 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic 750/4 Secondary Shaft Drive Damper Rubbers
Still waiting on the last 4 dampers and apparently the PO lost the package. I'm majorly PO'ed. I'm not surprised really. Every time I've seen the local postal worker they are talking on the phone while working. Just going through the motions. Bet the package was delivered to someone else by mistake. My only hope is the recipient is a good sole and gives the package back. In the mean time my engine lays open on the workbench. I'm itching to get this thing back together but no.

• Nessism
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
03 Sep 2015 11:27 #688467 by Nessism
Is there any reason why some damper rubber pieces couldn't be made from neoprene rubber sheet stock? Similar pieces are commonly fabricated for clutch hubs. For about $27 a piece of high grade neoprene could be purchased from McMaster Carr, and it would be simple enough to fabricate the pieces needed for a set of dampers. I've tested a stock damper and determined that it's durometer is 70A. I'm at a loss to find a better option at this point.

More
03 Sep 2015 11:56 #688469 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic 750/4 Secondary Shaft Drive Damper Rubbers
From what I can determine online those dampers are still available, so any online or local dealer should be able to get them for you. Ed

Attachment 00003a-97.jpg not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

• Nessism
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
03 Sep 2015 12:35 #688474 by Nessism
I think stock is depleted. I've got a backorder at Bike Bandit for some, and Partzilla has to wait 2 weeks to get the parts from Kawasaki that were subsequently lost. I'm not sure but I think the parts I received were the last ones around.

• Nessism
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
04 Sep 2015 07:29 #688601 by Nessism
Taking a flier and going to fab up some of my own dampers. Bought a sheet of "ultra strength neoprene" from McMaster-Carr... www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/121/3564/=ysivfs

The temperature rating has got me concern but pretty sure this is similar stuff to that used by various guys in their clutch hubs, and those are holding up fine.

More
24 Jun 2017 08:08 #765252 by undiablo
Replied by undiablo on topic 750/4 Secondary Shaft Drive Damper Rubbers
So did you ever try to DIY dampers? Sorry to write in an old post....but I am interested in your results.

Kawasaki KZ 750/4 LTD 1981
Kawasaki KLR 650 2011
Argentina - Buenos Aires

• Nessism
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
24 Jun 2017 10:54 #765259 by Nessism
I tried to make some but failed due to impatience. In order to make them properly some fixturing is needed and I didn't want to go through all the work. Found the OEM dampers I needed which made the whole project moot anyway. I've still got the rubber material if anyone wants to have a go. I've also got a spare set of new dampers too.