Ignitors

More
26 Aug 2015 10:42 #687190 by oldie
Ignitors was created by oldie
Hi I see some bikes have a small ignitors, versus the older larger ignition modules. My bike is a 1981/2 KZ250M (yest that's what's on the VIN plate as well as stamped in the frame, on the side covers shows LTD).
Ive seen LOUDVX \'s post and diagrams on a homemade, HEI substitue using a GM HEI module wired in with some additional components (diodes and resistor), I'm curious other than the obvious either misfiring, not firing at all or other obvious symptoms of how one determines they have a bad ignition. My 1981 Honda Goldwing GL1100 has two of these familiar looking aluminum rectifier looking devices on it and one has seemingly gotten a bit warm and the tar or compound from behind it has dripped onto the engine below. This is why I'm asking about how to determine if one has a bad ignitor. My wing seems to run fine no misfire that I notice.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Aug 2015 12:02 #687207 by jackleberry
Replied by jackleberry on topic Ignitors
I'm having trouble identifying a question in your post.

In any case, IC igniters don't usually have finned heat sinks. You're probably looking at a regulator.

1997 KZ1000P (P16)
2001 KZ1000P (P20)

More
26 Aug 2015 12:26 #687210 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Ignitors
Actually, many of the older KZ IC igniters do have fins. Unlike many newer CDI ones, they are metal with the fins cast into them. The type below, part number 21119-1040, was used on various KZ550, KZ650, KZ750, and KZ1000 models, Ed

Attachment 00003a-95.jpg not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

More
26 Aug 2015 12:43 #687213 by jackleberry
Replied by jackleberry on topic Ignitors

650ed wrote: Actually, many of the older KZ IC igniters do have fins. Unlike many newer CDI ones, they are metal with the fins cast into them. The type below, part number 21119-1040, was used on various KZ550, KZ650, KZ750, and KZ1000 models, Ed

Attachment 00003a-95.jpg not found

Ha. It even says igniter on it.

1997 KZ1000P (P16)
2001 KZ1000P (P20)

More
26 Aug 2015 13:20 #687221 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Ignitors
A bit of a supposition here but if you find an ignitor off a bike that has the same coil impedance as your coils, then you should be able to make it work. The only other thing to be concern with is the characteristics of the magnetic pickup coils. I suspect those are more consistent between different models though.

Hope you can make it work.

Good luck

More
26 Aug 2015 13:34 #687222 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Ignitors
Honda, back then, used individual igniters for each coil. They were cast aluminum housings, small, and filled with a black tar-like substance which often melts and drips out. They often still work without the tar, but are no longer protected from weather. My site has some possible replacement HEI projects for those Honda's, but I haven't tested them on actual bikes (but others have and reported success). Newer HEI modules are being made differently so you will have to refer to my site for possible non-compatible variants.

The KZ250 may use an electronic advance system. If it does, then the HEI module will not be enough to give you a working ignition.

There are many types of pickups, rotors, and igniters. Regardless of if the coils are the same or not, you can't just put together any random combination of those parts and expect it to work fully. Even if it makes sparks of some sort, the dwell will be off, or the timing will be off, or the whole thing can blow up. Even when using the exact same part number igniter, the operation can be totally different. This is happening in the world or HEI modules now, and it is a huge headache for me to try to reverse engineer all of the variants.

home.comcast.net/~loudgpz/GPZweb/Ignitio...ules/HeiModules.html

More
27 Aug 2015 16:24 #687382 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Ignitors
I used to own an '81 KZ250, they have an electronic ignition advance. The small plastic ignition module is located under the gas tank in the main harness. there is a small inductive pickup on the crank.

If I knew what I was doing all the time life wouldn't be any fun.

'80 KZ650 E 700cc, dyna ignition and coils, frame up restoration, daily driver
'81 KZ1300 A3 full restoration, custom big bore pistons, 1400cc 6 cylinder super bike
"77 KZ650 B1 - Barn Find, work in progeress
"74 Yamaha DT 400 Enduro