Starting Issue

More
24 Aug 2015 19:23 #687040 by Muskrat
Starting Issue was created by Muskrat
After minor engine rebuild (mostly cleanup plus honed, new rings, cleaned carbs), The engine started right up with choke on but was running horrible. #1 cylinder erratic if firing at all. Checked carbs again, all jets clean as are idle needles. Now bike wont start at all unless I shoot a few shots of gas straight down carb throats. Tried with choke, without choke, with throole closed, part open, etc. Am I missing something obvious that changed overnight?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Aug 2015 20:11 #687421 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic Starting Issue
Take the spark plugs out to let the cylinders air out.
Maybe you've flooded it.

Once aired out, start from scratch:

Key on, Kill on, cutch in, in neutral, fuel valve to prime if it has, or ON position.
Choke up all the way.
NO throttle.

Hit the start button and hope she starts.

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s
The following user(s) said Thank You: Muskrat

More
27 Aug 2015 20:44 #687428 by jackleberry
Replied by jackleberry on topic Starting Issue

Muskrat wrote: After minor engine rebuild (mostly cleanup plus honed, new rings, cleaned carbs), The engine started right up with choke on but was running horrible. #1 cylinder erratic if firing at all. Checked carbs again, all jets clean as are idle needles. Now bike wont start at all unless I shoot a few shots of gas straight down carb throats. Tried with choke, without choke, with throole closed, part open, etc. Am I missing something obvious that changed overnight?

What bike is it? Obvious things are coil wires swapped and cam timing being off.

1997 KZ1000P (P16)
2001 KZ1000P (P20)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Muskrat