Engine Pegs Out

More
28 Aug 2015 06:24 #687448 by Lazyman06
Replied by Lazyman06 on topic Re:Engine Pegs Out
To clarify. When you say it revs up and bounces. Is the engine free revving like you have the clutch in or on neutral, or, does it act like someone stuck a grapefruit in the tailpipe

1979 KZ1000 MK II frame
1980 KZ1000 C3 police engine

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• txfirewarrior
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
28 Aug 2015 06:31 #687449 by txfirewarrior
Replied by txfirewarrior on topic Re:Re:Engine Pegs Out

Lazyman06 wrote: To clarify. When you say it revs up and bounces. Is the engine free revving like you have the clutch in or on neutral, or, does it act like someone stuck a grapefruit in the tailpipe

Definitely not like the clutch is in because the engine doesn't rev up. So I guess like someone stuck a grapefruit in the tailpipe. I don't have a tach so I don't know RPMs, but for example, it's like it hits 4000 RPMs and stops there. Won't go higher even if I twist the throttle just "bounces".

Sorry, I know this is probably pretty amateur description but this is my first bike and first time going through any of this.

1978 KZ400-C1

• txfirewarrior
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
28 Aug 2015 08:00 - 28 Aug 2015 11:27 #687465 by txfirewarrior
Replied by txfirewarrior on topic Engine Pegs Out

swest wrote: Pics of the bike first. I want to see what kind of carbs you have and the overall condition.
Oh and welcome. B)
Steve

Here are some pics of the bike! The carb pics aren't the best, I don't know why I didn't take the covers off before taking the pics!

1978 KZ400-C1
Last edit: 28 Aug 2015 11:27 by txfirewarrior. Reason: Photos were removed from photobucket and had to relink them.

More
28 Aug 2015 17:28 #687534 by missionkz
Replied by missionkz on topic Engine Pegs Out
The pod air filters on those carburetors and the color of those exhaust pipes ought to be telling you what's wrong.....

Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado

• txfirewarrior
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
28 Aug 2015 17:40 #687535 by txfirewarrior
Replied by txfirewarrior on topic Engine Pegs Out

missionkz wrote: The pod air filters on those carburetors and the color of those exhaust pipes ought to be telling you what's wrong.....

Well the exhaust was that color before I got it, and the carbs were tuned great for the first 100 miles I drove it. I know they can cause issues, but the PO had rebuilt both carbs and tuned them to match the pods.

Like others have said, I am wondering now if it is fact a fuel issue, probably because of ethanol gasoline. Boy this stuff sucks. What a terrible idea.

1978 KZ400-C1

More
28 Aug 2015 21:39 #687561 by missionkz
Replied by missionkz on topic Engine Pegs Out

txfirewarrior wrote:

missionkz wrote: The pod air filters on those carburetors and the color of those exhaust pipes ought to be telling you what's wrong.....

Well the exhaust was that color before I got it, and the carbs were tuned great for the first 100 miles I drove it. I know they can cause issues, but the PO had rebuilt both carbs and tuned them to match the pods.

Like others have said, I am wondering now if it is fact a fuel issue, probably because of ethanol gasoline. Boy this stuff sucks. What a terrible idea.

Then I think he screwed up the carb rebuilds and the bike is too lean.
Let's see the spark plugs.
Float level could be too low on both carbs and or your fuel selector is becoming plugged and can't fill the bowls fast enough. Etc.

Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado