cam timing/chain wear

More
05 Aug 2015 22:05 #684559 by murr50
cam timing/chain wear was created by murr50
hey all,

just a question regarding timing my cams. When i line up my cams (before tightening everything down) at 36 pins, the arrows line up nicely with the mating surface of the head. The problem is, that once i tighten all the caps down, and adjust the tensioner, the intake cam arrow is about 1 pin under the mating surface of the head....

I have taken the cams out and made sure i haven't missed a tooth about 8 times now. Tried with the arrows at different locations on the head trying to get them to line up properly after tensioning everything to no avail. If the spec was 35 pins, this would line up perfectly, but it just isnt the case.

I am assuming this is likely due to the cam chain being stretched

beyond service limit? What i wonder is, can i ride the bike this way while i wait for a replacement chain? I have rotated the engine by hand, and the pistons havent come in contact with any valves. Any thoughts on this?

I have attached a picture showing what my setup sort of looks like. Imagine the red line is on the intake side of the engine.

Attachment Untitled.jpg not found

Thanks for the help.
It is a 1977 kz650.

1977 kz650 C
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Aug 2015 05:12 #684573 by pbmax
Replied by pbmax on topic cam timing/chain wear
I just had this same problem on my 79 kz750 twin. Everything lined up but after tightening the cam chain adjuster it was off by a pin or two.

I just kept at it and after about 5 attempts or so it finally lined up correctly.

I think the slack in the cam chain is the issue.

More
06 Aug 2015 06:59 - 06 Aug 2015 07:00 #684592 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic cam timing/chain wear
I see that your diagram is not from the Kawasaki Service Manual. Do you have that manual for your specific bike, and are you following the instructions in the manual for setting the cam timing properly? Below is the correct diagram. Ed

Attachment 00003a-79.jpg not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:
Last edit: 06 Aug 2015 07:00 by 650ed.

More
06 Aug 2015 09:05 - 06 Aug 2015 09:08 #684607 by murr50
Replied by murr50 on topic cam timing/chain wear
Ed, i do have the correct manual. just grabbed a quick picture off google to demonstrate the issue.

pbmax wrote: I just had this same problem on my 79 kz750 twin. Everything lined up but after tightening the cam chain adjuster it was off by a pin or two.

I just kept at it and after about 5 attempts or so it finally lined up correctly.

I think the slack in the cam chain is the issue.

hmmm maybe i will just keep trying. sure takes a lot of time removing all 16 bolts and the idler sprocket every time!!!

1977 kz650 C
Last edit: 06 Aug 2015 09:08 by murr50.

More
06 Aug 2015 09:19 #684611 by missionkz
Replied by missionkz on topic cam timing/chain wear
Ed, i do have the correct manual. just grabbed a quick picture off google to demonstrate the issue.
hmmm maybe i will just keep trying. sure takes a lot of time removing all 16 bolts and the idler sprocket every time!!!

Yup!! Time, fear of the unknown, money if you won't do it yourself and it's a PIA.... is why there so many KZ bikes out there running poorly with lousy cam, chain and valve clearance problems.

Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
06 Aug 2015 09:48 #684613 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic cam timing/chain wear
Here here. Don't forget to count starting at the next pin up.
Steve

More
06 Aug 2015 10:13 #684620 by KZB2 650
Replied by KZB2 650 on topic cam timing/chain wear
Mine was always a tiny bit lower on the intake (half a pin) and a half a pin higher on the ex....... Are they equal with the 36 pins count ...... slightly down on the in and up on the ex ? Mine lined up perfect after the new rubber wheel and Liska was put on but at the 100 mile mark it moved slightly and after the 600 mile check it was back to a half a pin under the surface on the intake and a half a pin higher on the ex .......... like you said from chain and sprocket wear.

I didn't replace the chain as I didn't want to split the case and don't trust a re rivet job on the new link. Then you've got 3 sprockets to replace too if you want it all new so I kept them too..........See what others think but from what I've read everyone's are slightly retarded from wear on here...... Maybe a close up pic ?

1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.

More
06 Aug 2015 10:19 #684623 by murr50
Replied by murr50 on topic cam timing/chain wear

KZB2 650 wrote: Mine was always a tiny bit lower on the intake (half a pin) and a half a pin higher on the ex....... Are they equal with the 36 pins count ...... slightly down on the in and up on the ex ? Mine lined up perfect after the new rubber wheel and Liska was put on but at the 100 mile mark it moved slightly and after the 600 mile check it was back to a half a pin under the surface on the intake and a half a pin higher on the ex .......... like you said from chain and sprocket wear.

I didn't replace the chain as I didn't want to split the case and don't trust a re rivet job on the new link. Then you've got 3 sprockets to replace too if you want it all new so I kept them too..........See what others think but from what I've read everyone's are slightly retarded from wear on here...... Maybe a close up pic ?

Appreciate the input. I really dont feel like i have missed a link or anything due to improper installation. i will take a photo when i get home from work for you guys to have a better look.

1977 kz650 C