Gas

More
02 Aug 2015 10:15 #683875 by EricTheLeg
Gas was created by EricTheLeg
Yesterday, after finishing some work on the bike, I decided to run it up the road to the gas station for some new gas and ride around a bit. No big deal. I've only had one good ride since moving to Washington from Illinois, so I'd sort of forgotten how the bike, when powered by 'old' gas (particularly in small quantities) is harder to get going than my wife after I fart under the sheets.

So, of course the bike stalled out at the stop-light by the gas station, and I ended up rolling into the station at a high idle due to 1/2 choke, much to the amusement of the rider fueling his newer show-room shined Harley/chopper with an unbaffled megaphone exhaust.

As I poured in some seafoam and filled up the tank, amid the roar of my new biggest fan accelerating away from the station, presumably to the next closest bar with a line of bikes out front where he can laugh with his friends about the dweeb he just saw riding (if you can even call it that) rusted rice into the gas station, i thought, 'it would be nice to avoid this sort of thing in the future.'

Of course after a little fiddling with my idle adjustment and about 1/4 mile to get the new gas into the carbs the bike runs like an absolute champ.

The fuel in question was at most 2 months old, (10% ethanol) and had been sitting in a plastic can that is relatively well sealed, only poured into the gas tank about 1 week prior to the ride in question. In this case, no Seafoam. The carbs had been drained and cleaned immediately prior to the ride. About 1/4 gallon in the bike (enough to do some tuning and get to the nearest gas station). I had warmed the bike up sufficiently before taking off, so that's not the cause.

Does anyone have any tips for keeping gas good for longer than a couple weeks/months?

The only thing I can think of is taking the time to get E-0 for those times when I'm tuning and/or filling 'just enough gas to get to the station.' There are a few marinas around here that keep E-0 on hand, though I'd have to lug it, as I don 't think they'll let me ride out on the dock to get gas. That's kind-of a pain. Any other suggestions?

1983 Kawasaki KZ440 LTD D/Belt - the road bike
1986 Husqvarna WR400 - the dirt bike
1985 Husqvarna WRX400 - The Project bike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Aug 2015 10:31 #683880 by DobbinsCMA
Replied by DobbinsCMA on topic Gas
Aviation fuel (High octane fuel not leaded). I know a bunch of friends that vintage race cars and that's what they keep in their rides over winter/storage/not racing. Maybe not the best for motorcycles, I have no idea.

'80 Kz1000B4
MTC 1075 .375 webcams Mikuni RS34
KZ440 Project
81'KZ750E2 Project
Past- '81 Kz750H :(

More
02 Aug 2015 10:33 #683881 by missionkz
Replied by missionkz on topic Gas

DobbinsCMA wrote: Aviation fuel (High octane fuel not leaded). I know a bunch of friends that vintage race cars and that's what they keep in their rides over winter/storage/not racing. Maybe not the best for motorcycles, I have no idea.

Aviation gasoline is 100 octane low lead. I used to run it in my cafe Brit 750 with 12:1 Pistons.

Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado

More
02 Aug 2015 11:33 #683886 by nickleo373
Replied by nickleo373 on topic Gas
I put stabil in my tank before storing it for the winter. It seems to work

1981 KZ550C LTD
"If you ain't first, you're last"

More
02 Aug 2015 12:14 #683889 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Gas

EricTheLeg wrote: Yesterday, after finishing some work on the bike, I decided to run it up the road to the gas station for some new gas and ride around a bit. No big deal. I've only had one good ride since moving to Washington from Illinois, so I'd sort of forgotten how the bike, when powered by 'old' gas (particularly in small quantities) is harder to get going than my wife after I fart under the sheets.

So, of course the bike stalled out at the stop-light by the gas station, and I ended up rolling into the station at a high idle due to 1/2 choke, much to the amusement of the rider fueling his newer show-room shined Harley/chopper with an unbaffled megaphone exhaust.

As I poured in some seafoam and filled up the tank, amid the roar of my new biggest fan accelerating away from the station, presumably to the next closest bar with a line of bikes out front where he can laugh with his friends about the dweeb he just saw riding (if you can even call it that) rusted rice into the gas station, i thought, 'it would be nice to avoid this sort of thing in the future.'

Of course after a little fiddling with my idle adjustment and about 1/4 mile to get the new gas into the carbs the bike runs like an absolute champ.

The fuel in question was at most 2 months old, (10% ethanol) and had been sitting in a plastic can that is relatively well sealed, only poured into the gas tank about 1 week prior to the ride in question. In this case, no Seafoam. The carbs had been drained and cleaned immediately prior to the ride. About 1/4 gallon in the bike (enough to do some tuning and get to the nearest gas station). I had warmed the bike up sufficiently before taking off, so that's not the cause.

Does anyone have any tips for keeping gas good for longer than a couple weeks/months?

Stabil is the usual stuff but I found out that the Lucas upper cylinder lubricant (fuel additive) is outstanding. I haven't had to work on my carbs in about six years and sometimes the gas in mine runs 3 - 4 weeks because I am retired now.

www.amazon.com/Lucas-10013-Fuel-Treatmen...ricant+fuel+additive

1979 KZ-750 Twin

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
More
02 Aug 2015 14:09 #683908 by Tyrell Corp
Replied by Tyrell Corp on topic Gas
The difficulty being fuel will go 'off' when stored too long, but it is good to fill the tank over the winter to prevent the tank rusting inside due to condensation... you get shafted either way.

Perhaps you need to improve on the foreplay to get your wife more interested under the sheets ...lol The most volatile fractions of petrol, the bit that makes starting easy, is the first to evaporate.

Not such a problem in the uk at the moment.

1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces