acceleration hesitation

More
29 Jul 2015 16:17 #683354 by missionkz
Replied by missionkz on topic acceleration hesitation

blink543 wrote: I talked to a Harley mechanic that knows jap carbs and he said my issue is varnish build up inside them. He said one of the jets has to be gummed up. He they are known for that issue. He said it's $300 to sync and clean them.

Good Lord... hard to believe that somewhere around you in IL there isn't another KZrider participant that wouldn't be willing to do this with you for the cost of their gas money and lunch..... just sayin' $300....? Screw that.

Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jul 2015 16:25 #683355 by blink543
Replied by blink543 on topic acceleration hesitation

missionkz wrote:

blink543 wrote: I talked to a Harley mechanic that knows jap carbs and he said my issue is varnish build up inside them. He said one of the jets has to be gummed up. He they are known for that issue. He said it's $300 to sync and clean them.

Good Lord... hard to believe that somewhere around you in IL there isn't another KZrider participant that wouldn't be willing to do this with you for the cost of their gas money and lunch..... just sayin' $300....? Screw that.

Ok then someone give me some names of good carb cleaner that works and how to go about cleaning them.

Adam james

More
29 Jul 2015 16:55 - 31 Jul 2015 12:21 #683357 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic acceleration hesitation
Cleaning carburetors is easy. The same thing is done 4 times on a lot of stuff & most parts only go back together one way, so it's kinda hard to mess up. use good fitting tools, your eyeballs & common sense. 4 plastic divided lunch containers are handy. If the bowls n stuff don't look too bad, then you may not need to separate the carb bodies to soak them --- just spray carb cleaner to make sure the orifices are clear. But soaking them in Berryman's professional cleaner dip will ensure that they are clean.

Expect to replace the o-rings & gaskets. Harbor Freight metric nitrile or viton o-ring kit. or eebbaayy etc.
Z1Enterprises.com or the Kaw dealer will have o-rings & other stuff.
Last edit: 31 Jul 2015 12:21 by martin_csr.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
More
30 Jul 2015 18:29 #683520 by blink543

martin_csr wrote: Carbs & other stuff. Before doing the carbs, the ignition & battery stuff I mentioned is fairly easy to do.
Don't assume a new battery is good --- test it.

Cleaning carburetors is easy & I do mean easy. The same thing is done 4 times on a lot of stuff & most parts only go back together one way, so it's kinda hard to mess up. Use good fitting tools, your eyeballs & common sense. 4 plastic divided lunch containers are handy for keeping the stuff from each carb organized & separated from the other carb parts. If the bowls n stuff don't look too bad, then you may not need to separate the carb bodies to soak them --- just spray carb cleaner to make sure the orifices are clear. But soaking them in Berryman's professional cleaner dip will ensure that they are clean.

Expect to replace the o-rings & gaskets. A metric nitrile or viton o-ring kit will have some suitable sizes. Harbor Freight or eebbaayy or elsewhere. Z1Enterprises.com or the Kaw dealer will have o-rings & some of the other rubber stuff, such as the starter/choke plunger caps & o-rings and fuel Tee o-rings or rubber fuel Tee fitting.

How many jets does each carb have?

Adam james

More
30 Jul 2015 18:48 - 30 Jul 2015 18:53 #683523 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic acceleration hesitation
No offense intended, but you are wasting a lot of time and energy trying to work on your bike without a manual. You would already know the answers to most of the questions you ask if you were to simply buy and read the manual, PLUS you would gain a real understanding of your bike and the various systems on the bike. No one has ever regretted buying one, they are worth their weight in gold.

Folks on this forum are happy to help, but answering elementary questions that show the owner hasn't done any research on his own is a bit tedious for some of us. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 30 Jul 2015 18:53 by 650ed.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
30 Jul 2015 20:08 #683542 by SWest

More
30 Jul 2015 20:29 #683547 by blink543

650ed wrote: No offense intended, but you are wasting a lot of time and energy trying to work on your bike without a manual. You would already know the answers to most of the questions you ask if you were to simply buy and read the manual, PLUS you would gain a real understanding of your bike and the various systems on the bike. No one has ever regretted buying one, they are worth their weight in gold.

Folks on this forum are happy to help, but answering elementary questions that show the owner hasn't done any research on his own is a bit tedious for some of us. Ed

i have stated time and time again in other posts i DO have a manual. its a clymer tho and no one is happy about that...im not gonna waste my time looking for a 30 some yr old manual because some guy said so......its the manual for the bike. what does it matter? it may not be word for word what the original kawasaki manual is but theres no way they are pulling this info out of their ass. they probably got the info from kawasaki?

Adam james

More
30 Jul 2015 20:50 - 30 Jul 2015 20:52 #683548 by cjaldous
Replied by cjaldous on topic acceleration hesitation
+infinity 650ed

If you go here: www.zedrider.co.uk/service--owners-manuals.html
You can find this: www.dropbox.com/s/ielbey7s4nwqc96/Z650%2...Service%20Manual.pdf

That's the 650B Kawasaki Service manual. From your front brake location, I think you have a B2?
There are going to be some inconsequential changes from the B1. (someone else please confirm?)
Also, the parts diagram on that zedrider page, or here: jarlef.no/Kawasaki/Series/Z/650/z650files.htm are so useful when searching for parts.

The reason Clymer and Haynes manuals aren't good enough is because they transcribe and interpret from the original manual or other sources. There are going to be more mistakes, transcription errors, and hand-waving in an aftermarket manuals. They try and simplify things that are already simple, and end up leaving out important information (ie like that there's an acceptable valve clearance range and not a single correct number.)

Sorry for all of this to sound like you're being beaten up, but the manual is really helpful, and it really is the right "tool" for the bike.

1977 KZ650B
Last edit: 30 Jul 2015 20:52 by cjaldous.

More
30 Jul 2015 20:58 #683549 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic acceleration hesitation

blink543 wrote: ..im not gonna waste my time looking for a 30 some yr old manual because some guy said so......its the manual for the bike. what does it matter?

You're right. It doesn't matter at all. Enjoy your bike and good luck with it. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
30 Jul 2015 21:03 #683550 by blink543

650ed wrote:

blink543 wrote: ..im not gonna waste my time looking for a 30 some yr old manual because some guy said so......its the manual for the bike. what does it matter?

You're right. It doesn't matter at all. Enjoy your bike and good luck with it. Ed

Good stay off my posts ed. I'm gathering info first by asking some questions. U can't be patient and won't get off your high horse

Adam james

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
More
30 Jul 2015 21:50 #683557 by Tyrell Corp
Replied by Tyrell Corp on topic acceleration hesitation
The Haynes manuals are great actually, I much prefer them over the factory manuals. Lots more pictures, specs for the whole series and even the layout makes a load more sense to me. I never really get it why they are under rated here.

Blink, if have a manual and can't be arsed to even look at a carb exploded diagram and parts list before asking for help then the more experienced members here won't bother helping you. Have you searched through the forum for previous posts on kz650 carbs? If you have looked already and can't make any sense of it then you are out of your depth here and need to get it done for you.

1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces