Clutch Question - New to Motorcycles

More
07 Jul 2015 17:43 #679951 by starving030
Clutch Question - New to Motorcycles was created by starving030
First off, I'm not new to bikes as I've ridden dirt bikes off and on for 30 years. But this is my first street bike I guess you could say. I've never worked on my own bikes but want to learn how with this one.

Anyways, so I just picked up a 76 KZ400 Special with less than 2200 miles on it from the original owner. He still had the dealer issued title. Everything is perfect on it except the clutch and rotted tires. If I pull on the clutch handle but it doesn't disengage the gears so I can shift. I took the little 1"x 2" panel off the side of the engine and can see the nut twisting when I pull the clutch handle but it doesn't seem to work. It has pretty good resistance so whatever springs or what not are inside feel strong. The clutch handle doesn't seem to have any play in it, it's stiff all the way through the pull. I'm just wondering where a noob motorcycle mechanic like myself would start troubleshooting this issue?

Thanks in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jul 2015 17:53 #679952 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Clutch Question - New to Motorcycles
Welcome aboard! The clutch plates may be stuck together if the bike has been sitting for an extended period. You can try to break them free by doing the following -

With the engine off put the bike in 1st gear.
Pull the clutch level all the way in and hold it in.
Rock the bike forward and backward (you may need a friend to help with this).
If the clutch plates are stuck together this should free them up. It may take a while, so don't expect them to free up with just a couple forward/backward rocks. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
07 Jul 2015 17:58 #679954 by kaw-a-holic
Replied by kaw-a-holic on topic Clutch Question - New to Motorcycles
Welcome to the forum, Nice bike. I don't have a 400 so I don't have an answer for you. I do suggest as I do to all new KZ owners is to find or purchase a service manual. It will tell you hove to adjust the clutch properly. If it is adjusted properly it could be clutch cable stretch. The cables get abused because people don't lube them. After that i would say possible clutch springs. How long has the bike been sitting?

Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

More
07 Jul 2015 17:58 - 07 Jul 2015 18:03 #679955 by starving030
Replied by starving030 on topic Clutch Question - New to Motorcycles
650ed. -
Thanks. I will definitely try that tomorrow because I don't think it has been driven in a very long time. It does fired up on the first kick though. YAY!

kaw-a-holic -
I don't know how long it has been sitting but it only has 2187 miles on it. For a 76 that's not very much, at least to me. It was in this guys garage/barn since he bought it from the dealer. So I imagine it sat for a good while.
Last edit: 07 Jul 2015 18:03 by starving030.

More
08 Jul 2015 11:10 #680039 by starving030
Replied by starving030 on topic Clutch Question - New to Motorcycles
Big thanks 650ed. That trick seemed to work perfectly. It only took a few times and it shifts fine now. Are there any other maintenance tips I should do specifically for this issue now that it's unstuck?

• Grumpy Ole Artist
  • User
  • Eschew Obfuscation!
More
08 Jul 2015 12:27 #680053 by Grumpy Ole Artist
Replied by Grumpy Ole Artist on topic Clutch Question - New to Motorcycles
Plus one on getting yourself a FSM (factory service manual) NOT Clymer's or Chilton's...a FACTORY service manual....it covers every aspect of servicing/repairing your bike....BEST $$ I have spent on my project so far...(Google is your friend, LOL!) This site also has a "search" feature built in, so those in need of info already provided to someone else, can look it up without running the charter members over the same old ground, again (and again, and again, LOL!) Do a search in the forums for "pod filters" ,LOL! All that having been said, I would definitely pull all the control cables & clean/lube them...you will not BELIEVE the difference in the feel! Definitely replace those old tires

1978 KZ650 B2
Former rides...1976 CB360T, 1985 Shadow 700, 1985 GPZ750Turbo

More
08 Jul 2015 16:45 #680082 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Clutch Question - New to Motorcycles
+2 FSM, best tool you will ever own.
Typical maintenance items ---
Air filter
Engine oil and filter- be sure the oil is motorcycle specific, JASO-MA
Lube and adjust all cables.
Valve adjustment check. With so few miles they should be ok, but now is not the time to assume anything.
Clean the drive chain and check it for tight spots and obvious rust, if you find any, replace the chain and both sprockets, if by some miracle the Cain is ok, get some quality chain lube on it and be sure it is properly adjusted.
Be sure both ends of both battery cables are clean and tight. Note that those old glass fuses can look ok, but have no continuity. If you doubt one, toss it. They are cheap.
If the tires are showing cracks or are more than 5 years old, get new ones. They are cheaper than an ambulance ride.
Grease in the steering head bearing may be dried out. You will want to have the FSM on hand before tackling that one.
Is the fuel tank rusty inside? If so, it will need to be cleaned before putting new fuel in it. Either way, a motorcycle specific fuel filter is a really good idea.
I'm sure I've left out a few things, but this should occupy at least one afternoon.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough