1980 KZ440b - Troubleshooting a clutch cable issue

More
06 Jul 2015 17:39 - 06 Jul 2015 17:48 #679753 by glennlives
So I picked up a kz440 back in november and been working on it here and there, and I'm very close to getting it back on the road. As I was reinstalling the clutch assembly and cables everything has normal play until I start screwing on the case cover, as I tighten down on it the clutch cable feels like its pinched. I have taken the assembly apart and put it back together again several times. Is there something I'm missing or is there a problem with the clutch push rod or the adjuster screw? I just can't seem to figure it out and i've done everything that seems obvious. This is my first bike that i'm attempting to build. If anyone has a step by step maybe i'm missing a bigger issue?

This is my first build and the factory manual isn't very helpful at this point, so feel free to point out anything I may be overlooking.

i attached some build progress pics incase anyone was interested as well

Attachment FullSizeRender1.jpg not found

Attachment FullSizeRender.jpg not found

Attachments:
Last edit: 06 Jul 2015 17:48 by glennlives.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
06 Jul 2015 19:45 #679805 by SWest
Adjust the screw all the way out until you have the cover on then hook up the cable and adjust it. Is that a single carb you have on there?
Steve

More
06 Jul 2015 19:59 #679809 by glennlives
Yep, couldnt find replacement diaphragms for the stock carbs for a reasonable price early on, so went with the singld carb conversion

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
More
07 Jul 2015 06:44 - 07 Jul 2015 06:49 #679885 by martin_csr
Did you install a cotter pin on the clutch release? Before installing the cover, you may need to maintain tension on the inner cable, so install the other end of the cable into the clutch lever, then install the cover.

Clutch adjustment. In case you aren't aware, on the KZ440 you're supposed to turn the clutch release adjusting screw counterclockwise first until hard to turn, then clockwise 1/4 turn (or maybe 1/2 turn), then adjust the cable free play. Some manuals are ambiguous as to which way to turn the slotted screw. It's kinda counterintuitive.
Last edit: 07 Jul 2015 06:49 by martin_csr.